Magic cookie bars are layer upon layer of goodness with a buttery graham cracker crust, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, pecans, coconut and sweetened condensed milk, for the ultimate sugary treat.
I’ve made these magic cookie bars many times, because they are one of my favorite treats. They are not only easy to make, they only have 7 ingredients, and they are so delicious. It really is like a little bit of magic in your mouth.
I first made these bars for an extended family get together with everyone as far back as my grandpa’s siblings and down. I always love having an excuse to make a dessert, especially to try a new recipe. Five years later I figured it was time to update the recipe and photos to show you just how delicious these bars really are!
These bars are sometimes referred to as Hello Dolly Bars, Seven Layer Bars, Chocolate Coconut Bars or Magic Bars.
These magic cookie bars have 7 ingredients, which is where they get the name Seven Layer Bars from. They start with a buttery graham cracker crust, top that with butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans. Pour over a thick layer of sweetened condensed milk and top with shredded coconut and bake until the coconut is nice and toasty. Allow it all to set and slice it up and serve.
These bars are super rich, thanks to the condensed milk so don’t be afraid to cut them into thin little slices. But I won’t judge you if you eat a few, I know I always do 😉
Chocolate Coconut Bars - Magic Cookie Bars
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 2 packages)
- 3/4 cup melted unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs and butter in a large bowl.
- Evenly press graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan after 5.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and pecans evenly over the crust.
- Pour condensed milk over the top. Tilt the pan from side to side to spread it to all corners.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with coconut.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until coconut is toasted and golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove using waxed paper, and cut into bars.
Recipe First Published on Jan 11, 2012. Post and Photo Updated 1/13/17
If you like these bars, you might like these other recipes too: