These chocolate thumbprint turtle cookies are a rich chocolate cookie rolled in chopped pecans, filled with caramel, and drizzled with melted chocolate. They’ve got the perfect flavors of a turtle candy all in a delicious bite sized cookie, perfect for the holidays.
These chocolate thumbprint turtle cookies are beautiful little cookies with the same great flavors of turtle candies. They’re a rich chocolate cookie, rolled all over in pecans and filled with gooey soft caramel. Drizzle more chocolate on top to take them to the even next level. Who doesn’t love chocolate, caramel and pecans?!
This recipe makes just about 2 dozen small chocolate cookies (you might get a few more or less depending how big/small you roll the cookie dough balls), so it’s perfect for serving at a Christmas party. But you might want to double the recipe to make some of these babies for a cookie exchange, or for serving up a plateful to each of your neighbors.
These thumbprint turtle cookies are super chocolate with a soft, almost brownie like, rich chocolate cookie. They’re decadent, sweet, and so delicious with the perfect combination of chocolate, caramel, and pecans.
How to make Chocolate Turtle Thumbprint Cookies?
Cream together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Then add in the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Stir until they are just combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir them together until you have a sticky chocolate dough.
Place the dough in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven.
Scoop small amounts of the dough off, then roll it into 1inch sized balls.
Whisk your egg yolk until it’s nice and frothy. Then dip the cookie dough balls into the egg whites to cover them completely, then roll them into the chopped pecans to cover them in that completely.
Place them onto a cookie sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Then press an indent into the top of the cookie, I like to use a 1 tsp measuring spoon.
Bake the cookies just until the tops are set. Then press the tops again with the measuring spoon.
Melt the caramels and heavy cream in the microwave until you can stir it smooth, then spoon the caramel into the indents of the cookies. Let it cool and set for about 20 minutes.
Then melt the chocolate in the microwave until you can stir it smooth, and drizzle it on top of the cookies. Let it set then enjoy!
Tips for making Turtle Thumbprint Cookies:
- Make sure you chill the cookie dough, about 1 hour in the fridge is all you need. The dough will be super sticky and hard to work with if you skip this.
- Use your hands to help press the nuts into the cookie dough balls as needed.
- Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top of the melted caramel before it sets to give it that perfect salty taste.
How to store Chocolate Turtle Thumbprint Cookies?
These cookies can be store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 or 4 days.
You can also freeze the cookies to store them longer. Make the cookies as directed, and let them cool completely before placing them in a freezer safe bag or container. You can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let them thaw to room temperature before enjoying.
This can also be helpful if you want to make a variety of cookies for those holiday cookie trays, and want to spread out the baking days.
These cookies are the perfect combination of rich chocolate, gooey caramel, and crunchy pecans. They’re so fun, and delicious. Just be warned, they’re rich, so you might need a glass of milk!
More chocolate caramel desserts:
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
- Chocolate Caramel Cookie Dough Cups
- Turtle Fudge
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- Rolo Pretzels
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Thumbprint Turtle Cookies
For the Chocolate Pecan Cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (separated)
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans (finely chopped)
For the Caramel:
- 1 cup soft caramels
- 1 TBS heavy cream
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
For the Chocolate Pecan Cookies:
- Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and beat them together until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined. (Save the egg white for later in a small bowl, and put it in the fridge)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir them together to make a really soft cookie dough.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg white until it's nice and frothy.
- Chop up the pecans really finely and add them to a small bowl.
- Scoop the cookie dough into small sections, and roll them into 1inch sized balls.
- Dip the cookie dough balls into the egg whites, then roll them into the chopped pecans, making sure to cover them completely.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Press the back of a 1 tsp measuring spoon into the cookie ball. Repeat with additional cookie dough, placing them each about 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until the dough is set.
- Press the cookie again with the back of the measuring spoon.
- Add the caramels and heavy cream to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth between each. (Mine usually takes 1 minute)
- Carefully pour caramel into the indent on each of the cookies.
- Let the cookies cool for about 10-20 minutes.
- Add the semi sweet chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small microwave safe bow land microwave in 20 second increments, stirring well after each until melted. Don't overheat the chocolate.
- Scoop the chocolate into a zip top bag and snip a small amount off of one corner.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cookies. Let the chocolate set completely before enjoy the cookies.