These chocolate caramel pretzel rods are the best sweet and salty treat, with an easy homemade caramel, and smooth chocolate on top of salty pretzels.
I love chocolate covered pretzels, but adding caramel to the mix takes these delicious chocolate caramel pretzel rods to the next level. They’re the perfect sweet and salty combo – with the salted pretzels, covered in the smooth homemade caramel, and creamy chocolate. It’s a match made in heaven.
Last Christmas one of our neighbors made a bunch of these chocolate caramel pretzel rods to deliver to all the neighbors. I loved them so much I pretty much hid the little bag of them that she brought us and ate them all for myself without sharing any of them with my family ;). These chocolate caramel pretzels are so tasty that you won’t want to share any either.
Thankfully the recipe makes a big batch, so you’ll have enough to share some of these at a holiday party, or wrapped up to deliver some of them to your neighbors. These pretzel treats are perfect for Christmas, but you can also decorate them all over with different sprinkles or candy melts to make them perfect for other holidays too. They would be so cute for a baby shower with pink or blue sprinkles, or some pumpkin sprinkles for Halloween, red white and blue sprinkles for fourth of July (like our pretzel sparklers) etc.
They can also be topped with heath bits (or homemade toffee), crushed up candy bar pieces (butterfinger, reeses cups, mini m&ms), chopped peanuts or other nuts, mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut, sprinkles, etc.
How to make Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Rods?
These pretzel rods are first coated in the easiest homemade caramel that is only 6 ingredients and made in the microwave. After dipping them in caramel and allowing that to set on the pretzels, you will dip them into melted chocolate to cover the caramel. Allow that to set as well then the pretzels are able to be enjoyed, or stored for later.
For the caramel you will need brown sugar, white sugar, butter, corn syrup, and condensed milk. You will add them all to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Pour the melted caramel into a tall glass to make it easier to dip the pretzels evenly. Allow excess caramel to drip off then place the pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow the caramel to set. You can rotate the rods as needed to prevent caramel from pooling, or shape the caramel with your hands as it starts to set.
Add your chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds till its smooth and creamy. Like the caramel, pour the chocolate into a tall glass for easier dipping. Then dip the caramel pretzels into the chocolate. Place back on the parchment lined baking pan.
If you want to cover them with additional toppers, sprinkle those over the top now.
Allow chocolate to set completely then pretzels can be bundled up to deliver to friends and family, stored till later, or enjoyed to your hearts content.
Tips and Tricks:
- Instead of melting the chocolate, in the microwave you can melt it over a double boiler on the stove top. Stir often, and cook until melted and creamy.
- You can also melt the creamy caramel on the stove, check the temperature and cook it until its 340 F.
- You can use your choice of chocolate chips; milk chocolate, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or white chocolate – depending on your preferences.
- Make these up for any special occasion or holiday. They’d be so fun for Valentine’s Day, Fourth of July, Halloween, Christmas, New Year’s Etc. They’d also be fun for baby showers, bridal showers, or birthday parties.
Can chocolate caramel pretzel rods be made in advanced?
In case you get super busy during the holidays, who doesn’t?? the pretzels will continue to look and taste their best for about 1 week. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
These chocolate caramel pretzels are such a delicious salty sweet treat. Crunchy pretzels, chewy caramel, smooth chocolate.
They’re a great option for your sweet tooth during the holiday season, or any time of year. They’re delicious, and will become one of your favorite treats of all!
Looking for more easy holiday treats?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Rods
For the Caramel:
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
For the Pretzels:
- 20 pretzel rods
- 16 oz chocolate
- Combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, condensed milk and corn syrup in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into a tall thin glass.
- Dip each pretzel rod into the caramel, covering about 2/3 of the way. Allow excess caramel to drip off.
- Place the pretzel rods on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roll the pretzels, or use your fingers, to smooth the caramel that has pooled around the pretzels more evenly.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at half power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth.
- Scoop the chocolate into a tall thin glass.
- Dip the pretzels into the chocolate and place back onto the parchment paper.
- Spread sprinkles evenly over the chocolate.
- Allow chocolate to set completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.