These cinnamon roll apple pie cups are such an easy way to enjoy the flavors of apple pie in a small hand held treat. They’re only two ingredients and are such a great fall breakfast or dessert.
Fall is here and it’s time for all the apple and pumpkin recipes! These apple pie cups are such a fun two ingredient treat that combines the arm and comforting flavors of cinnamon, and traditional apple pie in a bite sized treat.
If you love cinnamon rolls, and apple pie you will love this simple mashup! It’s a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth, and totally acceptable for breakfast or dessert! You use cinnamon roll dough for the pie crust to make this extra tasty treat.
These mini treats would be a great addition to a fall breakfast or brunch, family gathering, or anytime you’re craving a sweet, heartwarming treat. Try topping them with caramel sauce, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra delicious option!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- canned cinnamon rolls – use your favorite refrigerated cinnamon rolls. I used Pillsbury.
- apple pie filling – make your own, or grab a can from the store.
How to make Cinnamon Rolls with Apple Pie Filling?
- Pop open the cinnamon roll package and remove the cinnamon rolls from the tube. Flatten them, one at a time between your palms to create a flat circle. (You could also use a rolling pin to flatten the canned cinnamon roll into a flat circle.) Press each of the flattened cinnamon rolls into muffin cups sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, press the roll into the bottom and up the sides to make the cinnamon roll crust.
- Fill each cinnamon roll cup with about three tablespoons of apple pie filling each.
- Bake until the cinnamon rolls are golden brown and the apple filling is hot. Let the mini pies cool in the pan for several minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Drizzle the pies with the icing from the cinnamon roll can and enjoy them warm.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add a teaspoon of chopped nuts to the top of the cinnamon apple pie cups before baking for a nice crunch.
- Try a different pie filling, instead of apple pie filling for a different flavor. You could try cherry, blueberry, or strawberry pie filling with delicious results.
- This recipe was tested using Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. If you are using a different brand, I recommend setting the oven temperature and baking time based on the package directions.
- If you are using a dark muffin pan, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees, and check the cups for doneness after 10 minutes.
You can store any leftover apple pie cups in a an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. I recommend reheating them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to enjoy them warm again.
Can I make these in advance?
These are best enjoyed fresh, and since they take less than 30 minutes to bake and enjoy I recommend making them shortly before you’re event or breakfast.
Can I make these in the air fryer?
You can make these cinnamon roll apple pie cups in the air fryer, if you have a small muffin tin or specifically a muffin tin for the air fryer. They will bake a little faster in the air fryer, so set the air fryer to 325 F and cook them for 5-8 minutes, or until the cinnamon roll is golden brown and cooked through.
Can I make a double batch?
You can easily make a double batch of these cinnamon roll apple pies to use up the rest of the canned apple pie filling. Use two cans of cinnamon rolls, and one 21 oz can of apple pie filling. Divide the apple pie filling evenly between each cinnamon roll cup. They’ll each get about 2.5 Tablespoons of filling per cup.
This is a great way to make more, and have less waist. Perfect for serving at an event.
What should I do with the extra pie filling?
You’ll probably have about 3/4 to 1 cup extra apple pie filling if you make a regular single batch of these. Here are some super easy ways to use up your extra apple pie filling:
- Use it as an ice cream topping
- Use it on toast, or rolls like you would your favorite jam
- Use it like a dessert dip with pretzels, crackers, and cookies.
This 2-ingredient apple pie cups are the best of both worlds and combine two beloved sweet treats. It will be a huge hit with the whole family, I just know you’ll love the heavenly combination of cinnamon, apples, and icing in every bite!
More apple recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups
- 12.4 oz tube of cinnamon rolls (8 count)
- 1 1/2 cups apple pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray 8 spots of a muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the tube and flatten each roll between your palms to create a flat disk.
- Press the flattened cinnamon roll into the bottom of the prepared muffin tin spots, and up the sides of each.
- Fill each cinnamon roll cup with 2 to 3 Tablespoons of apple pie filling.
- Bake for 14 to 17 minutes, or until the cinnamon rolls are golden brown and the apple pie filling is hot throughout.
- Let the pie cups cool in the pan for about 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool more.
- Drizzle the pie cups with the frosting from the cinnamon roll can with a spoon, then enjoy.