The perfect fall treat of battered fried apple rings dipped in cinnamon sugar.
When thinking of fall flavors, I think of pumpkin and apple. How about you? I’ve been sharing a lot of pumpkin recipes with you guys, so I decided it was about time to make something apple. I shared these fried apple rings over at SomewhatSimple.com where I’m a contributor a couple weeks ago – and now I’m so excited to share it here with our readers too.
You see, I’ve been wanting to make fried apple rings like these for a while now, and finally I had the perfect opportunity for it. You cut your apple into thin, about 1/4 inch slices, I used my mandolin for ease and then you cut each slice into about 2 rings, and of course cut the middle core out, I used my round cookie cutters for that. Then you dip your rings into a homemade batter, then toss them into your preheated oil, cook for about a minute, flip and cook that side too.
Then of course don’t forget to dip your apple rings into some delicious cinnamon sugar! So, its actually pretty simple – but it has a lot of steps, so if you want to be able to eat your delicious cinnamon sugar apple rings immediately – which I promise you do (definitely best while hot) it may help to have a helper in the kitchen, but if not – its still possible (just don’t take pictures of them before eating like I did).
Anyway, these apple rings are another perfect fall treat. Apple and cinnamon sugar. Yum, right?
And bonus – they taste amazing dipped in chocolate too.
Looking for more apple recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Fried Apple Rings
- 3-4 large apples
- oil (for frying)
For the Batter:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBS white sugar
- 1 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar (or 1 cup buttermilk)
- 1 large egg
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat a large shallow pot full of about 2 inches of oil over medium heat.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together your flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a small bowl combine your buttermilk and egg.
- In a third bowl combine your cinnamon and sugar for the topping then dump onto a plate.
- Dump your buttermilk and egg into the flour mixture and stir together.
- Slice your apples into thin round slices, about 1/4 inch thick (I used my mandolin on thick). Cut out the cored of your apples and cut each apple slice into 2 rings using a round cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Dip your apple slices into your batter and allow excess batter to drip off.
- Put a few slices at a time into the preheated oil and allow to cook for a couple minutes, flipping after the bottom half is a golden brown color. Then cook on bottom side till browned too.
- Remove from oil and place on some paper towels to drip excess oil off.
- Dip apple slices into cinnamon sugar mixture, and coat on both sides.
Enjoy these cinnamon sugar fried apples while hot for a great fall treat!
I think you’ll like these other cinnamon sugary treats too: