These cinnamon sugar donut muffins are like a cross between an old fashioned cake donut and a muffin. They’re soft and sweet muffins coated all over in cinnamon and sugar!
These cinnamon sugar donut muffins are perfect served up for breakfast, or a snack. The perfect combination of a donut and a muffin so you don’t have to make the decision about which of your favorites you want to enjoy?
My kids ask for cinnamon sugar toast most days of the week. These muffins have that same great cinnamon sugar flavor, but on a delicious soft muffin instead. These muffins are loved by both kids and adults alike.
They’re super simple to make too, with a simple muffin butter, and only 1 extra step at the end to add the cinnamon sugar coating all around.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins?
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a medium sized bowl and whisk them together.
- Then add the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract to another bowl and whisk those together till smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir them together until the lumps are gone.
- Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin (small or regular) and fill each spot about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins until they are set on top, and a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack. Use a sharp knife around the edges if needed to loosen the muffin from the pan. Let the muffins cool for another 5 minutes on the cooling rack.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Then melt the butter in another bowl.
- Carefully dip each muffin into the butter, and let the extra butter drip off for a second. Then dip the muffins into the cinnamon sugar. Use a spoon to cover the muffin completely in the cinnamon sugar, then place it back on the cooling rack and repeat with the additional muffins.
Tips for making Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins:
- These cinnamon can be made in a regular muffin tin, or in a mini muffin tin. The mini muffins are like little bite sized donut hole muffins. Bake the mini muffins for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. Bake the regular size muffins for 20-24 minutes.
- Let the ingredients come to room temperature to help them combine really nicely when mixing.
- Don’t over mix the batter. The muffins will be lighter and fluffier if you don’t mix them for too long.
- You can also top the muffins with a powdered sugar glaze instead of cinnamon sugar, if desired.
How to store cinnamon sugar donut muffins?
These donut muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days. Muffins tend to get soggy if they are around for too long, to help with that after the muffins have cooled completely, line the container with paper towels in the bottom, then store the muffins in a single layer. Add another layer of paper towels on top of the muffins.
I will say they are on another level of deliciousness when they’re eaten still warm, just buttered and sugared. You can microwave the muffins for 15 to 20 seconds to warm them up again.
You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Individually wrap the muffins in plastic wrap, then place multiple muffins in a freezer safe ziptop bag and freeze them for up to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature.
These cinnamon sugar donut muffins are soft muffins, with the perfect cinnamon sugar coating all around them. They’re perfect for breakfast, or a snack, and you won’t be able to stop at one!
More muffin recipes:
- Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Crumb Topping
- Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Spray a muffin pan or mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk them together.
- In another bowl, add the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir them together till smooth.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture, and stir just until no big lumps remain.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each spot about 2/3 full.
- Bake mini muffins for 8 to 11 minutes, or regular muffins for 15 to 20 minutes. Or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool for another 5 to 10 minutes.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Dip each muffin into the butter all over, letting the excess drip back into the bowl.
- Then dip them into the cinnamon sugar topping, coating them all over, use a spoon to spoon the cinnamon sugar onto all sides of the muffin. Place them back on the cooling rack and repeat with additional muffins.