These moist, rich, and delicious double chocolate muffins are bursting with chocolate in every bite!
These double chocolate muffins are a new favorite of mine. They have a rich chocolate flavor in every single bite, with chocolate pieces through out. They taste just like chocolate muffins you’d get from a bakery, maybe even better!
I love when I have an excuse to start my day with chocolate. Obviously muffins aren’t the most healthy way to start the day, but if we’re going for a sweet breakfast, these chocolate muffins are a great one to add to the mix.
They’re amazing chocolate muffins, that are moist, with a little bit of a crunchy muffin top. Bursting with the best sweet chocolate flavor in every single bite!
These muffins have only simple ingredients in the list. In fact, you probably have most of them on hand in your pantry or fridge right now.
You’ll need butter, sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda salt and chocolate chips.
How to make double chocolate muffins?
You’ll make these by first mixing together your melted butter and sugar. Add in the milk. Fold in the eggs and vanilla extract until they are just combined. Then fold in the sour cream.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. You’ll mix together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, carefully with a spatula or spoon. Don’t use a mixer as it will over mix the ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin, or muffin tin lined with cupcake liners. You’ll want to fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
To help these muffins have an extra high muffin top, you’ll set your oven first to 425 degrees. Bake the muffins at this temperature for a few minutes, or until the top has risen above the top of the muffin tin. This allows the muffins to raise up high and create a tall crust. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees for them to continue baking.
Continue baking the muffins for another 15-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. A few crumbs are okay as the muffins will keep cooking for a few minutes in the pan when removed from the oven.
How long can double chocolate muffins be stored?
Double Chocolate Muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days if stored correctly.
These double chocolate muffins need to completely cooled before packed away to store. If they’re still warm and stored the extra heat will create condensation and cause the muffins to get too soft and soggy.
To help the muffins stay good for long you’ll want to store them in a airtight container with a lid, or a resealable ziplock bag. And with a few paper towels. Put the paper towel in the bottom of container to help absorb the extra moisture that rises out from the muffins as they set.
If you want to store the muffins for more than 4 days then you should store them in a freezer safe ziplock bag. If kept in the freezer they will stay good for about 3 months. Let them come to room temperature overnight, then enjoy, or even better warm them up in the oven or microwave to feel like a warm fresh muffin again.
These double chocolate muffins are the perfect way to start your day, or for an afternoon snack. They’re bursting with chocolate in every bite.
They’re moist and fudgy, they’re delicious, and rich and best enjoyed with a glass of milk 😉
Looking for more muffin recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter (melted, and cooled slightly)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees farenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine your butter and white sugar. Stir together till smooth.
- Stir in the milk.
- Carefully stir in the eggs and vanilla extract, just until combined.
- Fold the sour cream into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients carefully with a spoon or rubber spatula. Don't over mix.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin (or a tin lined with paper cupcake liners.) Fill them each about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for about 5 minutes.
- Then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Continue baking the muffins for an additional 12-16 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are okay)
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. (Or enjoy immediately warm - though they may crumble apart a bit).