This easy chocolate mousse is the perfect light, and silky smooth chocolatey dessert. It’s only a few ingredients, and only takes a few minutes to make this amazing dessert.
This chocolate mousse is thick, and light at the same time. It melts instantly in your mouth as you eat it, and you won’t be able to stop after one bite. It’s smooth, and silky, and decadent, and has the perfect rich chocolate flavor.
Don’t forget to serve this delicious mousse with some fresh whipped cream, chocolate chips, or chocolate shavings and fresh berries. My favorite is serving it with whipped cream and raspberries, like pictured.
This chocolate mousse is easy to make, with only 7 ingredients, and without any fancy equipment needed. It can be made in about 20 minutes and enjoyed immediately if desired.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Easy Chocolate Mousse recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Semi-sweet chocolate – use a high quality block of chocolate, and chop it up in small pieces to give this it’s rich chocolate flavor.
- salted butter – this adds a little flavor and creaminess.
- instant coffee – just a little instant coffee really amplifies the flavor of the chocolate in this mousse.
- powdered sugar – to add sweetness.
- cocoa powder – to amplify the chocolate flavor.
- whipping cream – this gets whipped up and is what makes the mousse nice and fluffy.
- vanilla extract – to add a little flavor.
How to make Chocolate Mousse?
- Add the chopped chocolate, butter, and instant coffee to a large microwave safe bowl and microwave in 15 seconds increments, stirring after each until you can stir the chocolate smooth.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa into a small bowl.
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl and whip it up, until it’s just frothy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa mixture into the bowl.
- Then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Continue to whip the cream mixture until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the melted chocolate mixture, one third at a time, folding it gently so the whipped cream stays fluffy.
- Scoop the mixture into small serving bowls and enjoy immediately, or cover with plastic and place them in the fridge to chill.
Tips and Tricks:
- Try a variety of toppings on your chocolate mousse, I definitely recommend whipped cream. But some other yummy options are chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, toffee bits, chocolate sprinkles, fresh berries, cocoa powder, etc.
- The instant coffee amplifies the chocolate flavor, but you are welcome to leave it out.
- Add other extracts in addition to the vanilla extract for a flavorful twist. I recommend orange, strawberry, cherry, almond, or peppermint.
- You can use your choice of chocolate baking bars for this recipe, just make sure it’s a bar of high quality chocolate. I usually prefer semi sweet, so it’s not too sweet of a mousse, but milk chocolate or dark chocolate can also be used.
How to Store?
Wrap the individual bowls or jars in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze the bowls by wrapping them in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze them for up to 2 months. Let them thaw in the fridge until soft enough to eat with a spoon.
More Easy Chocolate Desserts:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Easy Chocolate Mousse
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate bar (finely chopped)
- 1 TBS salted butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the chopped chocolate, butter, and instant coffee to a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15 seconds intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and can be stirred smooth. (The coffee granules will still be there, but will continue to dissolve and won't be noticed later)
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powdered together into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl and whip it until it's frothy.
- Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar mixture a little at a time until fully combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Continue to whip the mixture until you have stiff peaks. Once they're stiff, stop mixing, do not overmix.
- Add 1/3 of the whipped cream to the melted chocolate bowl and carefully fold them together until no streaks are left. Be gently so the whipped cream doesn't deflate.
- Repeat another 2 times, with another 1/3, then the last 1/3 of the whipped cream.
- Divide the chocolate mousse between 6 serving bowls or jars and serve immediately. Or cover with plastic wrap and chill until serving, up to 3 days.