This easy chocolate cake is the best chocolate cake ever, it’s fudgy, moist, and so delicious. It’s topped with a creamy and rich chocolate buttercream and is the perfect cake for chocolate lovers!
This chocolate cake recipe is the best of the best. It’s moist and tender, and has the perfect crumb, and did I mention it tastes delicious too?!
This chocolate cake is so moisty, chocolatey, and topped with the best sweet chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s seriously my new favorite.
I’m all about making cakes easy. I know every once in a while it’s nice to make a pretty layer cake for a birthday, or another special occasion, but I’ve never been one to make gorgeous cakes, and most the time I’m all for an easy cake, that still looks good, but more importantly tastes delicious. This chocolate cake is the solution for that. Delicious. Easy. And you can totally make sure it’s still pretty too.
Can I use this recipe to make a layered cake?
I make this chocolate cake in a 9×13 pan, but you can also make it in 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans if you want a layered cake instead. You will divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Then bake the cake at the same temperature for about 22 to 28 minutes, or just until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
You should need the same amount of frosting for a 2 layer cake as you would for a 9x13in cake. Once the cake is cook, you’ll place 1 layer of cake on a plate or cake stand. Spread frosting evenly over the top. Place the second layer or top and then spread the frosting evenly over the top and sides of the cake.
How to make this easy chocolate cake?
To make this chocolate cake recipe, you’ll first mix together the dry ingredients, including the sugars. That means you’ll mix together brown sugar, white sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift the cocoa powder to avoid chunks if you want.
In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk them all together. Then slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. While I’m mixing those I boil a cup of water on the stove, which only takes a couple minutes. Then slowly pour the hot water into the cake batter and stir till it’s all totally smooth. The cake batter is REALLY THIN.
Carefully pour the batter into a greased 9×13 pan and place into an oven preheated to 350. Bake the cake for about 25-35 minutes. (Mine takes 28 in a metal pan and about 33 in a ceramic pan, haven’t tried glass yet.) Remove the cake from the oven when a toothpick comes out mostly clean. It’s okay if there are a couple moist crumbs on it still, keeps the cake extra moist. Allow the cake to cool completely before spreading the chocolate frosting over the top.
How to make chocolate buttercream?
Cream your butter until nice and smooth, for about 1 to 2 minutes. While mixing on slow add in the cocoa powder and 3 cups of powdered sugar. I suggest sifting them as you add them to the butter so your frosting is super smooth.
Once that’s all mixed, add in the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and a dash of salt. Continue to mix until the frosting is nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes with a hand mixer, it only needs about 1 in a stand mixer.
Spread the frosting over the top of your cooled cake.
I’ve already made this cake many times since I first made it last month for my son’s 2nd birthday party. Logan and his cousin have the same birthday, so we did a combined birthday party for them this year, with the theme of The Hungry Caterpillar. We wanted to have all the foods that the caterpillar ate in the book for the party, you know like on Saturday he eats through “one piece of chocolate cake, one ice cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese…” etc. I made this yummy cake as the one piece of chocolate cake and everyone loved it.
Anyway, this easy chocolate cake is the best chocolate cake ever. It’s simple to make, it’s delicious and it’s a total crowd pleaser. I think you’ll love it as much as we do.
Looking for more chocolate cake recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Easy Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the Chocolate Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBS heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, white sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and combine.
- In another bowl add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat together until well combined. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Slowly pour the hot water into the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Continue to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is mixed well. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9x13 pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- In a large bowl cream your butter until smooth.
- Turn the mixer on low and add in 3 cups of powdered sugar and the cocoa powder. Beat until they're mixed well.
- Add in the vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix till smooth.
- Turn the mixer up to medium high speed and beat until it has gotten nice and fluffy.
- Spread frosting evenly over the top of cake.
- Decorate as desired.