These Fourth of July cookies start with a yummy chocolate chip cookie base, that is filled with red, white, and blue m&ms, white chocolate chips and sprinkles. They’re such a fun and delicious patriotic cookie that is perfect for the Fourth of July!
These Fourth of July cookies are so soft, chewy, and so delicious. The base for the recipe is based off my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, with just a couple small tweaks. But instead of chocolate chips these cookies are loaded with white chocolate, m&ms, and sprinkles!
The cookies are easy to make, soft and chewy, with just the right amount of crispiness on the edges, and of course so delicious.
How to make Fourth of July Cookies?
These cookies are pretty basic since they use all the basic kitchen ingredients. You’ll start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
I like to make the cookie dough in one large bowl or medium bowl so I’m not dirtying up an extra bowl. You will stir by creaming together your butter and sugars (brown sugar and white sugar). Mix them for about 2 minutes, until they’re nice and creamy and fluffy. Then add in your eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until they are just combined.
You can separately whisk your dry ingredients together, but I just dump them straight in with my wet ingredients. You’ll need all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Make sure to measure your flour by doing the spoon and level method (that means you spoon the flour into the measuring cup till it’s practically overflowing then level the top off with a straight knife and brush off the extra flour). Mix it all together till you have a nice and soft dough.
Then you’ll fold in the m&ms, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles. Scoop the cookie dough into 2 Tablespoon sized balls, and roll them into balls. I also like to press a couple extra m&ms and white chocolate chips on the top to make them extra nice looking.
Place the cookie dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, and bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until the cookies are golden brown on the edges and the tops are just set. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies continue sitting on the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes as they’ll continue cooking a bit in the middle while they’re there. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy warm.
Make Ahead Instructions
These festive cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, on the counter for up to 4 or 5 days. Make sure it is sealed well to make sure you end up with not just good cookies but delicious chewy cookies.
The cookie dough balls can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer so you have less work to do on the day of your Independence Day celebration! Once you have the cookie dough balls ready and stored it’s super easy to take them out for your block party to share and enjoy for this patriotic holiday as they are the perfectly festive 4th of July cookies.
Don’t forget to get the patriotic sprinkles ahead of time so when you are ready to cook the cookie dough balls you don’t need a last minute trip to the store. It’s also a good idea not to forget the red, white, and blue m&m ahead of time as well. This is the perfect recipe to make ahead of time so you have the best 4th of July cookies without worrying about making them the day you want to enjoy some festivities. Just pop them in the oven and you are good to go. They are the perfect party treats with all the patriotic food colors you need to celebrate and enjoy American Independence!
Tips to make Fourth of July Cookies?
- If your cookie dough is too soft and your cookies spread too much in the oven you can chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator, or add a little more flour. Try adding a couple extra Tablespoons of flour to the dough.
- If you want to make these cookies ahead of time, you can freeze the cookie dough in balls then bake them up right before you need them. Add a couple minutes to the baking time.
- You can also freeze the baked cookies. Let them cool completely then freeze them wrapped in plastic wrap then foil or a ziplock bag. Let them thaw to room temperature before serving when you need them.
- Top the cookie dough balls with extra red, white, and blue m&m’s and white chocolate chips before baking to make the cookies extra nice looking.
- These are also a great option for Memorial Day with the same patriotic colors as Independence Day
These cookies are so delicious, and they’re sure to be a hit for the Fourth of July! They’re loved by kids and adults alike, and they’re perfect for whipping up a batch for all your July 4th celebrations, a back yard bbq, potluck at the park, watching the fireworks, you name it.
Looking for more Fourth of July recipes?
- 4th of July Fruit Pizza
- Red White and Blue Trifle
- Red White and Blue Muddy Buddies
- 4th of July Mini Cheesecakes
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Fourth of July Cookies
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks, softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup red, white, and blue m&ms
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 TBS red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat until it's light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and stir till just combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir together till you have a nice soft dough.
- (If the dough is too soft, add in more flour 1 TBS at a time)
- Fold in the m&ms, white chocolate chips, and sprinkles.
- Scoop the cookie dough into large 2 TBS sized cookie balls onto an baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until the sides are golden and the tops are just set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies sit on the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, as they'll continue cooking.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy warm.