Homemade Homemade Apple Cider is made from scratch with fresh apples and cinnamon, its got the perfect smell and taste of fall. Its like drinking a big cup of comfort!
We got our first snow of the season today, and although by noon it was already, melted the air just has that chill about it. The cool weather has made me want to stay at home in my pajamas, and cuddle up with a blanket and a big mug of this homemade apple cider too.
This homemade apple cider cooks for a couple hours on the stove top, or for several in your slow cooker, and it will make your house smell like pure heaven. The apple cinnamon smell just seeps through your whole home!
All you need to make this delicious drink is fresh apples, I recommend using a variety so you don’t get the strong taste of one type of apple – I used granny smith and gala, sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves and water. The apples cook in the water for a couple hours and all the flavors just infuse together, into perfection.
Now that the days are darker, and getting colder when we go out I bring along my trusty Thermos Brand bottle. Fill it with this amazing homemade apple cider and I’ve got a warm drink for about 12 hours! Its the perfect way to stay warm all season long, and is going to be my constant side kick this year as we go sledding, to see Christmas lights, and more.
Thermos Brand is offering a great giveaway so that 10 of you can win your own bottle, so you too can stay warm all winter long! These would make a great gift idea as well!
- 10 apples, cut into 4-6 slices
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks, or 1 TBS ground cinnamon
- ½ TBS ground cloves
- Wash your apples, cut into pieces and place in a large stock pot.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and sugar.
- Add enough water to cover the fruit by at least 1 inch.
- Cook over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Lower to a medium low heat.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the fruit to release the liquids.
- Allow the cider to cook for 1 more hour.
- Strain the cider slowly through a fine mesh sieve in a large pot or pitcher. Discard the solids.
- Strain the cider one more time to remove and my solids.
- Serve the cider warm.