These homemade Peppermint Oreos are so easy to make, starting with a chocolate cake mix cookie, and filled with a smooth peppermint cream cheese frosting. They’re soft and so delicious, and such a yummy combination of chocolate and peppermint!
Last year I shared our homemade oreos, and a friend of mine mentioned making a peppermint version for the holidays and I knew it was something I had to try. It’s now one of my favorite easy cookie recipes!
These peppermint oreos, aren’t actually like an Oreo cookie you’d buy from the store, because instead of a small crunchy chocolate cookie we’ve got a soft, thick chocolate cookie. But they are still chocolate cookie sandwiches, with a creamy white filling, so I think that’s how they get their name.
These cookie sandwiches, have a soft cake mix chocolate cookie that is filled with a quick 4 ingredient homemade peppermint and cream cheese frosting. It’s like creamy cheese frosting turned for the holidays, and its so delicious, I think I might need to use it in even more recipes.
**This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links, at no additional costs to you.
How to make Homemade Peppermint Oreos:
They’re so easy to make because they start with a cake mix. It’s literally only mixing a dry box of devil’s food cake mix with 2 eggs, and a little oil.
You’ll scoop the dough into 1.5 inch balls, that are a little smaller than a golf ball, and place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner. You’ll flatten the balls a bit with your fingers or a cup, to make little disk, maybe 1/4inch thick or so. Then bake them up when they are just set, and the tops start to crack.
The frosting I like to use for these is an easy peppermint cream cheese frosting. You could also make a buttercream frosting if you like that better. But for the cream cheese frosting you’ll need cream cheese, butter, some powdered sugar, and peppermint extract. Whip them all up until you have a smooth frosting. (You can also use a store bought canned frosting, and add peppermint extract to that, if you want to make these even easier).
To assemble the homemade cake mix peppermint oreo cookies, you’ll take a small spatula and spread the frosting onto the bottom of one of the cookies. Place another cookie on top of the frosting, bottom side down, and lightly press them together. Then sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces onto the sides of the frosting in between the two cookies, rotating the cookie as you sprinkle the candy cane pieces to cover the frosting completely.
How to store Homemade Oreo cookies?
Store any extra cookies in a covered container, with a lid (or a ziptock bag works great) in the fridge (because the cream cheese frosting, but I also like them chilled) for 3 to 4 days.
Tips for making Homemade Peppermint Oreos:
- Press your cookie dough balls out pretty flat, about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick if you want the cookies to be more flat, and get the nice cracks on them like mine have. They still get thick and stay soft!
- Instead of coating the edges of the frosting in crushed candy cane pieces it would be super cute to use cute holiday sprinkles! (I do love the flavor and crunch the candy cane pieces, add, but the color of sprinkles would be so fun too!)
- These cookie sandwiches are nice and big! You can certainly cut each of the balls in half size to make twice as many (so you’ll get 24 small cookie sandwiches instead of 12 larger ones)
- Instead of a peppermint cream cheese frosting, you could make a typical buttercream frosting and substitute the peppermint extract for the typical vanilla. I love the peppermint and cream cheese together though!
These peppermint oreos would be so fun to serve up at a holiday party, or to package up in a cute bag to share with co-workers or neighbors. Just beware as is the recipe only makes about 12 cookie sandwiches, because they are nice and big! The recipe is so easy to double, or even triple to make more though!
They’re such a fun and delicious holiday cookie. With the soft and chewy chocolate cookie, and the creamy peppermint frosting. It’s hard to beat that combination this time of year!
More peppermint chocolate desserts?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Homemade Peppermint Oreos
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 oz cream cheese (softened to room temperature - 3/4 of a block)
- 6 TBS butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract (to taste)
- 1/4 cup crushed candy cane pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degreed Farenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil. Stir together till everything is combined and you have a thick cookie batter.
- Roll the cookie dough into about 1 1/2 to 2 inch sized balls. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Flatten each of the balls slightly with your fingers.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the cookie tops are set and start to crack.
- Remove pan from the oven and let cookies cool on the cookie sheets for about 3 minutes. Then remove them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese in a medium sized bowl with a stand mixer or hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the butter and beat till smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and peppermint extract and beat until the whole thing is smooth.
For the Assembly:
- Frost the bottom of one of the cookies and place another cookie on top to sandwich them.
- Sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces over the sides of the frosting that are showing between each cookie. Rotate the cookie as you sprinkle to cover all the frosting.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Enjoy the cookies immediately, or place them in a container with a lid and chill for at least one hour to enjoy them chilled.
- Store any leftovers in a container with a lid for up to 3 to 4 days.