Peppermint Bark is a Christmas classic homemade candy. It has delicious layers of dark chocolate, and white chocolate, and is all topped with crunchy peppermint candy canes.
Peppermint bark is a perfect holiday treat because it’s so easy to make, and such a cute festive treat with all the crushed candy cane on top. It only has a few ingredients, doesn’t require any baking (only a little chocolate melting in the microwave or stove top) and is perfect for serving at a holiday party, or packaging up as a Christmas treat for your friends or neighbors. Need anymore convicing?
Peppermint bark is a simple no bake homemade candy, that is perfect for peppermint and chocolate lovers. You might also love our no bake, microwave peanut brittle!
Once pumpkin season is over, I’m ready to move on to all things peppermint. I love peppermint and chocolate desserts, like our peppermint bark fudge, and peppermint chocolate chip cookies. Of course I needed a classic peppermint bark recipe to add to the mix.
Ingredients to make Peppermint Bark:
- Dark Chocolate – you can also use semi sweet, or milk chocolate – just make sure it’s high quality. I used a few Ghiradelli bars (not chocolate chips as those have extra stabilizers added)
- White Chocolate – just make sure it’s high quality. I used a few Ghiradelli bars (not chocolate chips as those have extra stabilizers added)
- Peppermint Extract – although it’s optional and you can leave it out if you want, it makes for the best pepperminty flavor. Don’t use mint extract as that contains spearmint.
- Candy Canes – they add a perfect minty crunch, and the fun red and white colors too.
How to make Peppermint Bark?
First we will do our chocolate layer, chop the chocolate bars up into small pieces and add them to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at half power in 30 second intervals, until you can stir it totally smooth. Then spread the chocolate into a thin layer on a baking pan. Set it aside to let it set for a few minutes.
Then we will melt the white chocolate, chop it up once again, and add it another microwave safe bowl, and microwave at half power until melted, the same as the chocolate. Stir in the peppermint extract and stir the white chocolate smooth. Then spread it evenly over the top of the dark chocolate layer.
Sprinkle crunch candy cane pieces over the top, and set the whole pan aside until the chocolate is hardened. Cut, or break it up into pieces and enjoy!
Tips to make Peppermint Bark:
- Use high quality white chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Melt your chocolate slowly, and don’t over melt it. Make sure to stir it for a bit in between each time in the microwave to try not to have to microwave it more.
- Don’t let the first chocolate layer get totally set before adding the white chocolate on top because this helps to keep the layers from separating. (But let it get mostly set or the chocolate may melt when you poor your white chocolate on top and then the layers won’t be as pretty)
How to store Peppermint Bark?
Peppermint bark can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. You can also store it in the fridge, though if any moisture gets in the candy cane on top may get sticky.
This peppermint bark is such a yummy chocolatey and peppermint treat. It’s crunchy, and delicious, and is definitely a must this time of year!
This homemade candy is the perfect gift to package up in adorable little tins, or cellophane bags. It’s great for giving out to friends, coworkers, neighbors, or your kid’s teachers this time of year. Everyone will love it!
More Christmas Candy Recipes:
- Christmas Reindeer Bark
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- Reindeer Pretzels
- Rolo Pretzel Turtles
- Homemade Soft Caramels
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
- 12 oz dark chocolate (high quality, chopped into small pieces)
- 12 oz white chocolate (high quality, chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (divided)
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dark chocolate into a medium microwave safe bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments. Stir vigorously after each time in the microwave, until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the peppermint extract.
- Spread the chocolate onto the prepared parchment paper, in a size of about a 9x13 pan.
- Place it in the fridge to chill for 8 to 10 minutes, until it's almost set.
- Place the white chocolate into another medium sized microwave safe bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each time.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Pour the white chocolate over the dark chocolate, and carefully spread it evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the candy cane pieces evenly over the top of the white chocolate.
- Place the pan in the fridge to harden, or let it set at room temperature for several hours until hard.
- Break, or cut the bark into pieces, as big or as small as you want.
Karen Carr says
Delicious & simple. Hard not to eat it all. Used the exact chocolate that was recommended & it turned out great. And when she says heat chocolate slowly, heat the chocolate slowly!!