These ice cream cone cupcakes are such a fun way to have a cupcake, especially for a birthday party. They’re easy to make starting with a cake mix, and are such a delicious treat!
Ice cream cone cupcakes are such a fun and easy dessert. Our recipe is made with a cake mix, and store bought frosting as well, making them extra easy to make – but just as delicious to eat.
They’re such a cute way to have cupcakes, and would be so fun to serve for dessert at a barbecue, or especially for birthday parties.
Basically, you pour the cupcake batter inside of an ice cream cone and bake it up in there. You top the cupcake cone with your favorite frosting, dolloped on to loop like a scoop of ice cream on top, then topped with a cherry and some sprinkles to look like a real ice cream cone.
You can use your favorite cake mix, and your favorite frosting. I used a chocolate cake mix for chocolate cupcakes, with vanilla frosting on top. A funfetti cake would be super fun too!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Cake Mix + the ingredients to make the cake based on the box
- Flat Bottomed Ice Cream Cones
- Vanilla Frosting
- Maraschino Cherries
- Rainbow Sprinkles
How to make Cupcake Ice Cream Cones?
- Pre heat oven. Combine cake mix and the ingredients called for on the box to a large bowl (typically eggs, vegetable oil, and water) and stir them together.
- Add the ice cream cones to a muffin tin to help keep them upright in the oven. Fill each of the ice cream cones about 2/3 full with cake batter.
- Bake the cupcakes until the tops are set and a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Add your frosting to the top of the cupcake, using a piping bag and a star tip to look like a soft served ice cream cone. Repeat with additional cupcakes. Top each with a maraschino cherry and sprinkles and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks:
- Carefully transfer the cupcake cones to the preheated oven with a pair of steady hands to keep the cones from tipping as you put the pan in the oven.
- If your cones seem extra wobbly make a small wreath of aluminum foil inside the muffin tins around the base of each cone to help support the cones and keep them upright.
- If your cones have big pieces missing from their sides don’t use them. The cake batter with leak down the sides. Buy a few extra cones just in case.
- Add a couple drops of food coloring to a white cake batter or white frosting to make these cupcakes different colors and extra special for any occasion.
- Line a rectangle baking pan with foil, and poke holes in it the size of your cake cones if you don’t have a cupcake pan.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to store Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes?
These cupcakes are best served the same day they are made because the cones will start to soften and get soggy if they are stored for an extended period of time. I recommend eating them within 2 hours of baking and decorating. If you are storing them, place them in an airtight container at room temperature, and poke a couple holes in the bottom of the cones with toothpicks after baking.
What kind of cake can be baked in ice cream cone cupcakes?
You can fill the ice cream cones with any batter you like. This idea is totally customizable. I usually use a box cake mix for this recipe, but if you want to make cupcakes from scratch, you’ll love these:
What kind of frosting should I put on top?
The frosting is also fine with your favorite. You’ll want a frosting that pipes easily and holds its shape.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- If your store bought frosting is too thin to pipe, add 1 TBS of powdered sugar at a time to the frosting in a bowl with a hand mixer until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
These cupcake ice cream cones are such a fun way to have a sweet dessert. They’re easy to make, and so much more fun than traditional cupcakes. These perfect cupcakes and will be loved by adults and kids of all ages.
Looking for more cupcake recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix (plus eggs, oil, and water as called for on the box)
- 24 flat bottomed ice cream cones
- 2 cups vanilla frosting
- 24 marashino cherries (optional)
- rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cake batter according to package directions in a large bowl.
- Place the ice cream cones in a muffin tin or two to keep them upright while baking.
- Fill the cones about 2/3 full of the prepared batter.
- Carefully transfer the prepared muffin pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes until the cake is set on top and a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cones to cool completely.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a star tip.
- Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake to look like an ice cream cone.
- Top with sprinkles and cherries and enjoy.
These ice cream cone cupcakes were first posted on September 26, 2015. The photos and blog text were updated on July 31, 2023.