This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream is made with a smooth vanilla ice cream, that is packed full of edible cookie dough bites and mini chocolate chips.
Who can pass up bits of chocolate chip cookie dough mixed into a smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream? It’s one of my favorite ice cream flavors or all time, and this homemade version is so much better than you could get from the store.
This cookie dough ice cream is loaded with eggless cookie dough chunks. It’s stuffed full of 1 1/2 cups of cookie dough pieces, so that you can get a piece in practically every bite. But if you need even more cookie dough (because honestly, I believe you can never have too much cookie dough), you can double the recipe for even more!
The ice cream starts with a simple no churn vanilla ice cream base. That means no ice cream machine needed to make this one. With my quick homemade eggless cookie dough, and mini chocolate chips throughout.
I doubled my edible cookie dough for one because I wanted to have lots of chunks of cookie dough in this ice cream.
This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is one of the best. It’s delicious on it’s own, served with hot fudge and caramel sauce on top, and don’t forget the side of warm cookies or brownies.
It’s such a great easy recipe that only needs a few ingredients, and only takes a few minutes of active time to make!
This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will get a very small percentage in commission. There is no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use or own. Your help in supporting us and our blog is appreciated.
Why you’ll love this cookie dough ice cream recipe:
- It’s a delicious egg free, and cook free ice cream recipe
- It’s an easy machine free ice cream recipe too.
- It’s packed with tons of cookie dough chunks!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
For the Cookie Dough:
- salted butter – salted butter gives this cookie dough just the right flavor that it tastes like real cookie dough you’d bake up for cookies
- brown sugar and granulated sugar – a mixture of them both gives this cookie dough the flavor of real cookies
- vanilla extract – adds just the right flavor to the cookie dough
- milk – this replaces the eggs in the cookie, so you have just a little liquid to hold it all together.
- flour – because you need flour for cookie dough, it’s the bulk of the recipe. Read below for tips on heat treating the flour first.
- mini chocolate chips – you can’t skip the chocolate chips in cookie dough ice cream, they need to be mini so you can get a lot of them in the cookie dough.
For the Vanilla Ice Cream:
- sweetened condensed milk – this is the sweetness for our super simple ice cream base.
- vanilla extract – use real vanilla extract or vanilla paste (or even beans) for the best flavor.
- heavy whipping cream – no substitutes for this one, you need heavy cream that you can whip up into soft peaks to keep this ice cream creamy, and fluffy.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream?
You’ll start by making a simple no churn vanilla ice cream. It’s made by whipping heavy cream until you have soft peaks, then folding it together with sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
Then you’ll layer your ice cream and cookie dough and a few chocolate chips, to make sure they are spread out evenly, in a 2Quart, 9×5 loaf pan and put it all into the freezer for at least 6 hours, or overnight until it’s hard enough to scoop. Then voila.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to heat treat the flour to prevent you from getting E. coli. Spread the flour on a lined baking sheet and bake it at 350 F for about 5 minutes. Let it cool completely, then it’s ready to use.
- If you want an even creamier ice cream, use our vanilla ice cream for the base and add in the cookie dough pieces and chocolate chips instead of using the no churn ice cream listed in this recipe.
- I recommend freezing the ice cream overnight for the best results, any shorter than that and it will be a softer ice cream.
How to store homemade ice cream?
Store the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in an airtight container. Store it in the coldest part of your freezer (usually the back) for up to 3 weeks, for best results.
Any longer than that and your ice cream will start to get freezer burn on top and icy.
This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is the best. It’s creamy vanilla ice cream, loaded with lots of tasty cookie dough pieces and mini chocolate chips. You won’t be able to stop at one scoop!
More ice cream recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
No Churn Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- 1/4 cup butter (softened, 1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour (add 1-2 TBS more if it's too sticky)
- 6 TBS mini chocolate chips
For the Ice Cream:
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 TBS mini chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- Cream together the butter and sugars until mixed and light in color.
- Add in the vanilla and milk and stir to combine.
- Add in the salt and flour until all combined. Start with 3/4 cup flour, and if the mixture still feels a little too wet, add 1/2 TBS more flour at a time up to 2 TBS.
- Spread the cookie dough out on a piece of waxed paper in a thin layer.
- Place in freezer for about 10-30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and chop into small squares.
For The Ice Cream:
- In a large bowl combine the condensed milk and the vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, whip the heavy cream in a large bowl until medium stiff peaks are formed, a couple minutes on high.
- Fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour about 1/4 of the ice cream mixture into your 9x5 inch pan.
- Sprinkle some of the cookie dough pieces on top of your ice cream mixture. Swirl the cookie dough pieces through, so they are spread throughout the ice cream. Add a few more pieces on top if needed.
- Sprinkle with about 1-2 TBS of your mini chocolate chips, and swirl those throughout too.
- Repeat with another 1/4 of ice cream, 1/4 of cookie dough and 1-2 TBS chocolate chips.
- Repeat with the final layer, topping it with cookie dough pieces (roll them into balls to look nice if desired), and a few chocolate chips.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and place in freezer for 6 hours, or overnight. Scoop and enjoy.
This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream was first posted on May 15, 2015. The photos and text were updated for clarity on July 25, 2022.
Things you might need for this recipe:
Now, since its National Chocolate Chip Day, don’t forget to check out some of these other recipes for more ideas!
Gluten Free Cookie Dough Blizzard on Tried and Tasty // Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake on Creations by Kara // Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars on Jamie Cooks It Up! // Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes on Cupcake Diaries // Vanishing Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies on Real Mom Kitchen // Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies on Butter with a Side of Bread // Chocolate Chip Bagels on Ashlee Marie // Chocolate Chip Pecan Caramels on Creations by Kara // Chocolate Chip Scones on Ashlee Marie // Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins on Cupcake Diaries