These Nutella chocolate chip cookies are delicious, chewy, Nutella based cookies loaded with chocolate chips.
You will love this Nutella Cookie Recipe
Calling all Nutella lovers! These soft and chewy cookies are loaded with the creamy flavor of Nutella in every bite. The cookies are loaded with chopped chocolate pieces, which will give you melty chocolate in every bite. One bite in, and you’ll want to make these cookies again, and again.
They’re nice and chewy in the middle, with nice and crispy edges and loaded with chocolate chips. I actually recommend chopping up a dark chocolate bar for these cookies, or using dark chocolate chips, as I love the rich chocolate flavor paired with the sweet Nutella flavor.
I love using chopped up chocolate in cookies, because it really emphasizes those bursts of melty chocolate in the cookies. They get extra smooth and creamy, and melty. Especially if you eat the cookies warm, which I definitely recommend.
To make these Nutella cookies, I followed my classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but took out half the butter and substituted it for creamy Nutella.
You’ll love adding these to your cookie rotation. They’re the perfect cookie if your a Nutella lover, or chocolate cookie lover.
Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies ingredients
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- unsalted butter – I recommend unsalted butter in all our recipes so you can control the exact amount of salt going in to the baked goods. If you are using salted butter, cut the amount added later in half.
- Nutella – or another brand of creamy chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Brown sugar and Granulated White Sugar – the perfect balance to sweeten the cookies, and give them the best chewy texture.
- Vanilla Extract – to balance out the chocolate and add a little flavor
- Salt – to balance out the sweetness
- Baking soda
- All purpose Flour
- Chocolate Chips or Chocolate Chunks – Use your favorite chocolate chips, or chopped up baking chocolate bar.
How to make Nutella Cookies
- Add the butter, Nutella, and sugars to a large mixing bowl and cream them together for a couple minutes until fluffy with a hand mixer, or bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the already combined wet ingredients, and stir everything together until you have a nice soft cookie dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chocolate pieces.
- Scoop the dough into 1 1/2 TBS sized cookie balls and put them onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
- Bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown and the tops look just set. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack to continue cooling, or enjoy them warm (because we all know freshly baked cookies are the best).
Nutella Cookies Recipe tips and tricks
- These cookies can be customized with your choice of mix ins. Instead of chocolate pieces try adding in some Reese’s Pieces, M&Ms, Butterscotch chips, toffee bits, etc.
- Add in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients to make the cookie base extra chocolatey. The Nutella flavor does get a little overpoured with the chocolate, but its still good).
How to store Chocolate Chip Nutella Cookies
You can store any leftover baked, and cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 or 5 days, if they last at long.
You can also freeze the already baked cookies by laying them out on a cookie sheet and flash freezing the sheet for about 1 hour, or until frozen solid. Then transfer the cookies to a freezer safe bag, or other freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat them you can let them thaw for a couple hours at room temperature, or microwave them in 10 second increments until soft and warm.
Chocolate Chip Nutella Cookie FAQs
There are a few factors that can affect the texture of cookies.
– A higher ratio of brown sugar to granulated sugar will make a cookie softer because brown sugar contains more moisture.
– Reduce the baking time of your cookies by a minute or two. Take them out of the oven when the tops just look set, but the middle might not be fully baked. The cookies will continue cooking as they cool on the baking sheet.
– Add 1-2 TBS of cornstarch, or use cake flour instead of all purpose flour for an extra tender cookie.
If your cookies are too thin, or you want thicker cookies you can fix this by chilling the cookie dough in the fridge. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour before scooping the dough into cookie dough balls. You can also scoop the dough into balls – then chill them on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes to 1 hour to prevent the cookie from spreading too much.
Your cookies will get hard fast if they are overbaked in the oven. Even couple minutes extra will dry out the cookies and they will turn hard faster. You can prevent this by making sure you remove the cookies just as they start to set on top, so they will continue baking on the pan out of the oven.
You can also store your cookies in an airtight container with a slice of white bread. The bread will give its moisture to the cookies, and it will turn hard, but keep the cookies from doing so. Change the bread slice daily.
These Nutella cookies are bursting with the best chocolate hazelnut flavor in every bite. They’re a great new favorite cookie recipe to add to your Christmas cookie trays, to make for an after school treat, or when you need to bring a dessert to a potluck.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Confetti Cake Crumbl Cookie
- Cowboy Cookies
- Maple Pecan Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar pieces
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet or two with parchment paper.
- Add the butter, Nutella, and sugars to a large bowl and cream them together until fluffy, a couple of minutes.
- Add in the 2 eggs and vanilla, and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir everything together until combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips or chocolate pieces into the batter.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 1 1/2 TBS sized portions and add them to the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the edges are brown, and the top is just set.
- Add a couple extra chocolate pieces on top of the cookies right as you pull them out to make them extra pretty, if desired. Also, you can sprinkle them with sea salt if desired.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes to cool. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to continue cooling, or serve warm.