Now a pancake you bake that makes enough for two, so easy and delicious. Enjoy this oven baked pancake with berries for breakfast or brunch.
I love this recipe for this Oven Baked Pancake with Berries. I love everything about it; the ease, the crisp edge, the flavor, the texture, and the amount (just right for two of us).
A few weeks ago, I found the perfect cast iron frying pan. I had been wanting a cast iron pan for a long time, one that I could use for baking in my oven. I had been looking online, in specialty stores, etc. but they were all too big and TOO expensive. I wanted something small and a decent price at least. I had been visiting Ross lately for a cute dish every once in a while and I stumbled upon my little cast iron frying pan, it was a great price, size, and bright yellow – so cute. Then I looked for the perfect recipe to bake with it and discovered this Blueberry Baked Pancake recipe in my Martha Stewart Living Magazine. Martha’s recipe called for using an 10 inch pan and mine was only 8 inches, so I cut the recipe to 3/4s and that worked perfectly.
I followed the directions for seasoning my pan that came with it, cast iron are a special breed and you need to season them first. Often that requires coating them with oil and then baking, but I would follow the instructions that come with your pan. Cast iron pots and pans also are not meant to be washed (never soak your cast iron in water), sometimes you are just going to wipe your pan clean, but you can wash them in hot water just make sure to dry it completely with paper towels (recommended) immediately after washing or rinsing (rarely with soap). You can find some basic instructions here at Real Simple for the care of your cast iron pan.
Now that you know a little more about their use and care, let’s get to this delightful recipe of an oven baked pancake with berries (in my case Kirtland Triple Berries but you can use fresh blueberries or raspberries too)
Oven Baked Pancake with Berries
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 7/8 tsp of baking powder
- 3/8 tsp sea salt (or other coarse salt)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large large egg (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup frozen Kirtland Triple Berries*
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbs butter
Additional ingredients for topping
- powder sugar
- maple or berry syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place your 8 inch cast iron pan into the oven
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together your flour, 2 Tbs sugar, baking powder, and salt
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter
- Stir your milk mixture into your flour mixture until just combined
- Remove your pan from the oven and put your additional TBS of butter into, swirling to coat the pan
- Pour your batter into the pan
- Spread/place your berries evenly on top of the batter
- Sprinkle your additional tsp of sugar over the top of the berries and batter
- Bake until golden brown for about 20 to 25 minutes
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes then sprinkle with powder sugar
- Serve with maple or berry syrup