Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies have a scrumptious peanut butter cookie and are packed full of chocolate chips for the ultimate peanut butter and chocolate perfection!
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are my favorite cookies of all time. With a soft peanut butter cookie, that is packed full of chocolate chips they are the perfect cookie for peanut butter and chocolate lovers.
They’re a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie, kind of like a chocolate chip cookie, but with peanut butter added to make them even better. I like topping them with a sprinkle of sea salt as well to give them just a little saltiness that balances the sweet cookies perfectly.
A few years back Craig and I were visiting Virginia and we stopped at a Farmer’s Market and purchased fresh fruits and vegetables and Grandma’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. We fell in love with the cookies. They weren’t your typical peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and oatmeal added, more like a chocolate chip cookie with peanut butter added.
Craig called them evil cookies because they were wrecking his diet. You seriously can not just eat one, you’ll keep going back for more and more. They’re perfect paired with a cup of milk since you’ll want to keep going back for more!
Two tricks I have learned since making these cookies over and over again that I want to share with you. First, you can put your dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour to help the cookies keep their shape. I don’t always do this, because sometimes I’m too impatient, and they usually still turn out 😉
Second, if you don’t want to bake all your cookies at once, you can freeze the dough. This recipe makes a lot of cookies, and although your neighbors will be happy to have you share with them, if you want to save some to make later, you can freeze the dough. The best way to do this is to roll the dough into individual balls of cookie dough like you would if you were going to bake the cookies. Line them up on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place them in the freezer for an hour, or until solid. Take the frozen balls of cookie dough and put them in Ziploc bags to store, so you can just grab a few cookie balls out at a later time when you’re ready to bake them. Its even better than the cookie dough tubs you buy at the store, because I promise these will be your new favorite cookies. (And to be honest sometimes I’ll just take out a frozen cookie dough ball and eat that for a quick dessert! 😉 )
But seriously, these might just be the best cookies ever. If you love peanut butter and chocolate, you will love these. Guaranteed.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 - 12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 - 12 oz bag milk chocolate chips
- Make sure the butter is soft (sitting on the counter works best for this but I zapped my for about 30 seconds on power 4 in the microwave). Beat the butter and peanut butter together until it is well combined.
- Add the sugars and eggs and beat for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butters, sugars, and eggs mixture, mix for about 1 minute, making sure it is well combined.
- Stir in the chips just until well combined.
- Place dough in fridge for an hour or up to overnight. (optional)
- Preheat oven. Place dough on a large cookie sheet 4 across and4 long, in balls that are about 1 1/2 inches.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Do not overbake, take them out of the oven just after they start to crack and let them finish cooking on the sheet as it cools down.
Enjoy the delicious combo of peanut butter and chocolate in these perfect cookies!
Recipe originally posted on July 28, 2010. Photos and text updated on 5/9/18.
If you like these cookies, I think you’ll like these desserts too!