These buckeye brownie cookies are the best of both worlds with a delicious fudgy brownie cookie topped with a peanut butter buckeye ball and chocolate.
What’s your favorite flavor combination? It’s hard for me to pick a favorite, but chocolate and peanut butter are definitely up there. And these buckeye brownie cookies are the perfect way to enjoy these two flavors together.
Similar to our mint brownie cookies, these brownie cookies start with a batter made with just a few ingredients. Starting with a brownie mix! It’s a soft and chewy, fudgy chocolate cookie that is topped with a thick peanut butter topping and more chocolate.
Trust me, peanut butter and chocolate lovers will love these cookies. It’s the perfect easy recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth, when that cravings strikes.
These cookies would also be a great choice for serving out at a party, or for a holiday cookie exchange.
Why these cookies are the best?
- The best for chocolate and peanut butter lovers
- Easy to make
- Great for the holiday season
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Buckeye Brownie Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- boxed brownie mix
- all purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- chocolate chips
- coconut oil
How to make Buckeye Brownie Cookies?
Combine the box of brownie mix, cream cheese, butter, and egg in a large bowl. The dough will be sticky. Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roll them into balls. Press down the center of the cookies with the back side of a teaspoon to leave an imprint for the peanut butter balls. Bake the cookies until the tops are crinkly and the cookies look just set.
Combine peanut butter and powdered sugar in a medium bowl for the peanut butter mixture until they are smooth, then roll sections of it into 1-inch balls. Once the cookies come out of the oven top each one with a peanut butter ball, pressed into the center of each cookie.
Let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 second increments. After stirring as much as you can, melt the chocolate in additional 15 second increments until the chocolate is melted totally smooth.
Spoon the melted chocolate over the top of each cookie and peanut butter ball, enough to cover the peanut butter ball completely. Let the cookies sit until the chocolate is set.
Tips and Tricks:
- These cookies bake fairly quickly and you want to make sure they’re not overbaked to keep those fudgy centers, so watch them closely the last couple of minutes. Bigger or smaller cookie dough sizes will affect the baking time.
- I prefer creamy peanut butter so the peanut butter balls are smooth, but you can substitute crunchy peanut butter if you like the texture.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a buckeye?
A buckeye candy is a sweet treat made of peanut butter and powdered sugar that is rolled into a ball and dipped in chocolate. They’re named after buckeye nuts, because of their similar look.
How can I store these cookies?
These buckeye cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also store them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Microwave your leftover cookies for about 10 seconds if you want to enjoy them warm.
You can freeze the cookies as well by laying the cooled cookies out on a cookie sheet and flash freezing them for one hour. Once they are frozen transfer them to a freezer-safe container or zip top bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
These amazing cookies are the perfect peanut butter chocolate cookies. They’re rich, soft and so delicious. Don’t forget to enjoy them with a glass of milk.
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes:
- Buckeye Pretzels
- Buckeye Balls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Marbled Cookies
- Buckeye Brownies from Shugary Sweets
CONNECT WITH LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Buckeye Brownie Cookies
For the Brownie Cookies:
- 1 box brownie mix
- 2 large eggs
- 6 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBS water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Peanut Butter Topping:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 TBS coconut oil
- Large Mixing Bowl
For the Brownie Cookies:
- Combine the brownie cookie ingredients (besides the chocolate chips) in a large bowl and stir them together until mixed evenly.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Cover the batter and place the bowl in a fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough by the 1.5 TBS and roll them into smooth balls. Place them onto the prepared baking pan, at least 2 inches apart to let the cookies spread.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tops are barely no longer shiney, and set.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Add the peanut butter and powdered sugar to a medium bowl and mix them together until
- Take 1.5 teaspoons of the peanut butter mixture and roll it into a smooth bowl. Then flatten them slightly.
- Top the cookies with the peanut butter mixture.
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Then stir as much as you can. Microwave in additional 20 second increments, until you can stir the chocolate smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate evenly over the top of the peanut butter mixture, and cookies.
- Let the cookies sit until the chocolate is set and hardened.
These buckeye brownie cookies were first posted on September 18, 2014. The photos and text were updated on December 5, 2022.