These peanut butter cookies are amazing peanut butter cookies, that are a peanut butter lover’s dream.
Today is National Peanut Butter Cookie Day! Until I became a food blogger I had no idea that there were national food holidays like this. But besides a few bigger food holidays like National Donut Day, or National Ice Cream Day I was clueless that there were other “national” food holidays such as national peanut butter cookie day!
So I went through and saved the important food holidays to my calendar. You know things like National Chocolate Chip Day and National Peanut Butter cookie day need to be celebrated right?
Well, these cookies are the perfect way for you to celebrate this wonderful holiday. And if you love peanut butter you will love these cookies, and this holiday.
These peanut butter cookies are ready to eat in less than 30 minutes, and made with simple ingredients.
These are the best peanut butter cookies, and they have the perfect peanut butter flavor, in a soft and chewy cookie with the perfect lightly crunchy edges. They’re rich, an delicious with a glass of milk.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- unsalted butter
- peanut butter – I prefer creamy peanut butter for a smooth texture, but you can add crunchy peanut butter if you like the peanut crunch.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda and baking powder
How to make Classic Peanut Butter Cookies?
Mix together the butter and peanut butter in a large bowl (I love to use my stand mixer, but a bowl and electric mixer works great) and cream them together. Then add in the sugars and cream them into the butter mixture for a couple of minutes until the color has lightened a bit and it’s nice and fluffy.
Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
Add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; you’ll add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and stir it together until you have a nice soft cookie dough.
Scoop the cookie dough into 2 TBS of dough, and roll them into smooth balls between your hands. Roll the cookie dough into granulated sugar if desired.
Place the cookie dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, a couple of inches apart. Press the top of the cookies with the tines of a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
Bake cookies in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden on the edges, and the center looks slightly under baked. Remove the baking pan from the oven and let the cookies rest for about 5 to 10 minutes on the wire rack. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool for another 10 minutes to enjoy warm, or let them cool completely.
Tips and Tricks:
- I recommend using a regular peanut butter not a natural peanut butter for the best results.
- Double the recipe if you need more cookies for an event, want to enjoy more, etc.
- If you want thicker cookies you have a couple of options, you can replace half of the butter with a Crisco Baking Stick. Or you can chill the dough even longer than called for in the recipe.
- Add in 1 cup of chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or other mix ins if desired.
- Make the cookies a little larger by doubling their size (or I even made a cookie with 1/4 cup dough) and adding a couple extra minutes to the baking time. This will give you a great end result if you love giant cookies that are extra soft in the middle.
How to store peanut butter cookies?
You can store any cooled peanut butter cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. The cookies will loose their crisp texture the longer you store them, but will still taste great.
You can also freeze the cookies. Transfer the cookies to a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Let the cookies thaw for a couple hours at room temperature to soften.
How to store cookie dough?
You can also store the cookie dough if you want to bake the cookies up from fresh. You can store the dough in the fridge, or you can freeze it.
I like to scoop the cookie dough and prepare it with the fork pattern and everything, then flash freeze the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet. Transfer them to a freezer safe bag once they are frozen solid.
Then you can bake the cookie dough straight from the freezer when the craving strikes. Add a couple of minutes to the baking time to bake them from frozen. The cookies will probably be a little thicker than the first time you made them as they won’t spread as much.
These perfect peanut butter cookies are delicious chewy cookies with the best peanut butter flavor. They’re one of my husband’s favorite cookie recipes, and they’ll be your favorite too.
Looking for more peanut butter recipes:
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Cake with Cake Mix
- Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Simple Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Add the butter and peanut butter to a large bowl and mix them together until combined.
- Add in the sugars and cream the mixture for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, and vanilla extract and stir them until just combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients, and stir them into the mixture to make a nice soft cookie dough.
- Cover the dough and place it in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Scoop 1.5 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough, and roll them into balls. Roll them into granulated sugar if desired.
- Place them onto the prepared cookie sheet a couple inches apart.
- Slightly flatten the balls with a fork, making a criss cross pattern.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 8-9 minutes, or until the edges of the cookie are lightly golden and the tops are almost set.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let the cookies the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack.
These peanut butter cookies were first posted on June 12, 2013. The photos and text were updated for clarity on