This pumpkin cornbread is the perfect way to make cornbread in the fall, with the perfect autumn spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin bursting throughout. Top it with honey or cinnamon butter for the perfect side dish, or dessert.
I love a big bowl of hot chili, served with cornbread along side it. They always went together when I was growing up, and I carried the tradition on when I had my own family. Craig would come home, smell the scent of chili cooking and just knew we would also be eating cornbread with it. You should also try my classic cornbread recipe.
A friend introduced me to pumpkin cornbread, and just the thought of that sweet fall twist, I knew I had to try it. I made it the next day, and it was a definite winner!
If you want to keep the fall twist, it would be delicious paired with Aimee’s pumpkin chili recipe.
This pumpkin corn bread is soft and moist, and has the perfect flavors of fall in every bite. It’s not lacking in pumpkin flavor, so no one will be wondering what flavor it is, or just tasting corn bread with a little cinnamon. It’s simple, delicious, and so good paired with some honey, or cinnamon butter, or with a big bowl of chili.
How to make pumpkin corn bread?
How long does pumpkin corn bread last?
If you store the corn bread in an airtight container at room temperature it should stay good for about 2 to 3 days. If you store it in an airtight container in the fridge it will last for 5 to 6 days.
This pumpkin corn bread is going to be a new favorite at your house, just like it is at ours. It has the perfect taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin throughout, and is the perfect thing to make this fall.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Pumpkin Corn Bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9inch square pan (non stick spray or butter works).
- Sift together your flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat your eggs.
- Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, and applesauce to the eggs, and whisk them all together.,
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture, and add in the egg and pumpkin mixture. Gently mix them together until they are just combined, but don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter, honey, molasses, etc.
This pumpkin cornbread was first posted on October 25, 2013. Photos and text updated on September 18, 2020.