Pumpkin cake topped with the best cream cheese frosting is the perfect fall dessert, easy to make, super moist and loaded with delicious pumpkin flavor.
This pumpkin spice cake couldn’t be any easier to make, it only takes a few minutes to whip together, and only has a few ingredients for both the cake and the cream cheese frosting.
I like to keep a couple cans of canned pumpkin on hand throughout the year since its harder to find when its not fall (aka pumpkin season), so I always have everything I need to make this amazing pumpkin cake in my pantry, all year long.
For this pumpkin cake recipe you’ll need:
- vegetable oil
- pumpkin puree
- cinnamon and other seasonings
- baking powder and baking soda
How to make pumpkin cake?
You’ll mix everything together for the cake. You’ll start with mixing together the sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree till nice and smooth. Stir in the eggs. You’ll mix all your dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. That means your flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients you’ve already combined until everything is mixed together.
The pumpkin and oil in the batter keep the cake perfectly moist throughout, exactly how pumpkin desserts should be, but the four eggs keep it nice and fluffy.
You’ll bake the cake in a greased 9×13 pan. and bake it up. I haven’t tried, but the cake should also be able to be baked up in a 10 inch bundt cake pan, or in two 9inch roundcake pans. You’ll definitely need more frosting if you do the round pans.
After the cake is baked you’ll want to let it cool completely before frosting it. Otherwise the frosting will melt and will not spread nicely. Whip up your best cream cheese frosting ever and spread it all over the top of the cooled cake.
The cream cheese frosting is super easy to make and is only 4 ingredients. The tangy sweet frosting is the perfect contrast to the sweet moist pumpkin cake.
Can I use pumpkin pie spice instead?
If you’d like to use pumpkin pie spice instead of the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves you can. I would add about 2.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Or if you like the stronger cinnamon flavor like I do you can add 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp of cinnamon.
The flavor may be slightly different, but it should be close enough to the same if you don’t already have all the individual spices and don’t want to buy each of them just to make this recipe.
I love pumpkin desserts like pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin ice cream but this cake might be one of my new all time favorites. The cinnamon and seasonings pair perfectly with the pumpkin puree to give this cake the perfect fall flavor.
The cream cheese frosting on top of the moist spiced pumpkin cake, is amazing. It all comes together as the perfect combination and when you take a bite full of cake that you won’t be able to stop at one bite.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Healthier Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- The Best Pumpkin Pie
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (about 15 oz)
- 4 eggs (large)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your sugar and oil and pumpkin until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and stir till smooth.
- Combine your flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (mine took 32) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before spreading the frosting over the top.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat your cream cheese in a large bowl over medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the butter and continue mixing till well blended.
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and continue to mix until the frosting is completely smooth.