Salted caramel rice krispie treats are classic rice krispie treats made even better with the delicious addition of a rich homemade salted caramel sauce!
**These salted caramel rice krispie treats are made in partnership with Sea of Cortés Gourmet Sea Salt. All opinions are my own.
These salted caramal rice krispy treats are rice krispie treats taken to the next level. You all know how much I love rice krispie treats, well these are getting added into my regular rotation. You still have the traditional and delicious gooey marshmallow, but you’re adding in a homemade salted caramel sauce to the mix.
These are perfect for a treat to send in school lunch boxes, for an afternoon snack, or to share with your friends and neighbors so you don’t find yourself eating the whole batch!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Salted Caramel Rice Krisspie treat recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- granulated sugar
- heavy cream
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- crisp rice cereal
How to make Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats?
- Measure out all your ingredients so you are ready for when you need them, because sometimes you have to move quite quickly when making caramel.
- Add the sugar to a medium sauce pan and heat it over medium on the stove top. Stir the sugar constantly with a wooden spoon. It will first form into little clumps then will evenly melt into an amber colored liquid. Stir constantly.
- Once the sugar is all liquid, add in the butter. Stir it until the butter is completely melted into the hot liquid sugar. Then slowly stir in the heavy cream. Let it boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in the sea salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel into a glass or bowl to cool until it’s needed for the rice krispie treats. You’ll have extra too.
- Melt butter over medium low heat in a large sauce pan for the rice krispie treats.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir them into the butter until they are almost completely melted. Then stir in the caramel sauce.
- Pour in the cereal and mix together until the cereal is coated with the caramel marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a pan sprayed with cooking spray, and softly press it down into an even layer. Let the bars set before slicing.
- Drizzle the top of the bars with more caramel sauce and top with flaky sea salt if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- Substitute brown sugar in the caramel for more of a butterscotch flavor in the bars.
- Store any leftover bars covered in plastic wrap or with a lid, or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- For the rice krispie treats you’ll only need 1/3 cup of the salted caramel sauce, so you’ll have plenty left over to serve over your ice cream, or brownies, or whatever you want. Store it in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, microwave in 30 second increments until smooth to use.
The salted caramel sauce takes the classic recipe to a whole new level. It adds the perfect gooey caramel and salty kick to make these the perfect sweet and salty treat. So next time you’re craving a sweet and salty treat try these salted caramel rice krispies treats. I promise you won’t regret it!
More rice krispie treat recipes:
- Snickers Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebble Rice Crispy Treats
- Pink Dipped Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 TBS butter (cut into slices)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp Sea of Cortés Gourmet Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce
- 5 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
!For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Measure out all your ingredients and set them aside so they are ready when you need them.
- Add your white sugar to a medium sized sauce pan and heat over medium heat on the stove top.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Sugar will first form into little clumps, and then will eventually melt into an amber colored liquid. Keep stirring.
- Once the sugar is completely melted add in the butter. Stir it into the butter until its completely melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Very slowly stir in the heavy cream. It will steam a little, so be careful. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and pour in the sea salt and vanilla.
- Pour into a glass jar and allow co cool until needed.
For the Rice Krispie Treats:
- Melt the butter over medium low heat in a large sauce pan.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir together till the marshmallows are almost completely melted.
- Stir in the salted caramel sauce.
- Pour in the cereal and mix together till cereal is completely coated.
- Pour into a 7x11in pan (or a 9x9) and press down evenly.
- Allow to set before slicing.