This spicy avocado black bean salad is delicious served as a side dish, a meal, or even as a dip with chips. It’s simple, flavorful, and ready in just a few minutes.
This avocado and black bean salad is delicious served as a cold salad, eaten straight with a fork or spoon. As a snack or lighter lunch. As a dip with tortilla chips or crackers. Or even as a salsa type dish on top of grilled meat, or as a taco topping.
The dressing on this salad is so simple, but really flavorful. It’s a simple mixture of olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and salt and pepper. The creamy avocado salad is delicious served immediately, or even better after letting the dish marinate in the fridge overnight.
This delicious salad, or dip, or whatever you want to call it is the ultimate crowd pleaser. It’s a delicious healthy meal, great addition to your next potluck meal.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Avocado Black Bean Salad recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- fresh lime juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- black beans
- bell pepper – use your choice of color, red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, etc.
- jalapeno – use half a pepper if you’re worried about it being too spicy.
- cilantro – leave it off if you don’t like cilantro, you can leave it off
How to make Avocado Black Bean Salad?
- Mix together everything for your salad dressing in a small bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine the black beans, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeno pepper. Toss them in the dressing.
- Then carefully fold in the diced avocados and cilantro. The avocado is so soft we don’t want to squish it too much, thus the need to add it in gently. Taste the salad, and add in additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Add in some diced rice onion, or green onions to add extra fresh flavor to this salad.
- You can substitute lemon juice for the lime juice, if desired.
- You can substitute the black beans for navy beans, or black eyes peas if desired.
- Add in 1 cup of fresh corn, or canned (drained, and rinsed) corn if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a ripe avocado to make this healthy salad the best, the creamy texture and ripe flavor is everything.
- Double the recipe if you’re making this for a big group, like for a potluck.
- This salad is great right away, or for best results stick it in the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors meddle.
How to Store?
This avocado and black bean salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure it’s tossed nicely with the oil and lime juice to prevent the avocados from turning too brown, they may still turn brown over time.
Are avocados healthy?
Avocados contain several nutrients, including potassium, fiber, and carotenoids. They are also high in fat, but it’s a mono-unsaturated fat which is a healthy fat, and is good for lowering bad cholesterol.
This black bean avocado salad is such a great light, and perfect side dish that you will love. It will be a huge hit at your next summer cookout, or potluck!
More avocado recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Avocado Black Bean Salad
For the Sauce:
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
For the Salad:
- 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- In another bowl combine the black beans, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeno pepper.
- Toss the dressing over them, and gently toss until evenly coated.
- Carefully fold in the avocado and cilantro, until evenly mixed in.
- Serve immediately, or cover and store in the fridge for 12 hours to let the flavors meddle.
This avocado black bean salad was first posted on July 28, 2010. The photos and text were updated on January 16, 2023.
Leave a Reply