This homemade guacamole is so flavorful, and delicious. Great served with chips, tacos, quesadillas, and more!
This guacamole recipe is so delicious. It’s made with avocados (of course), tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. It’s simple, and delicious. It’s so good with a big bowl of tortilla chips, with tacos, burritos, burgers, chicken, toast, on a salad, you name it.
When I was a teenager my parents moved to Fallbrook, California. Which is about an hour north of San Diego, and 30 minutes inland from the coast. Fallbrook, beside being an adorable little town, is also is the self proclaimed Avocado Capitol of the world. They even have an Avocado Festival every year.
Well, before I lived in Fallbrook, I don’t think I had a lot of experience with avocados. I don’t think I necessarily disliked them, but I don’t know if I really liked them yet either. Well, I fell in love with them, once I gave them their fair shot, whether in guacamole, like this amazing recipe, a turkey bacon avocado sandwich, or even by themselves with a little salt on top.
So, back to this amazing guacamole. It’s got the perfect balance of flavors, but it’s also customizable if you don’t like one of the ingredients.
- avocados – you’ll want them to be nice and ripe
- red onion – I like the tartness of red onion in the guacamole, but you could also use yellow, white, or even green onion
- tomatoes – I like dicing mine up, but feel free to leave them out if you don’t like them
- lime juice – fresh squeezed
- salt – it brings out all the flavors, especially the yumminess of the avocado
- cilantro – I like lots of it, but if you’re one of those people who thinks it tastes like soap then you can leave it out
Optional Guacamole Ingredients:
- jalapeno – add it for a little kick (add about 1/2 to 1 jalapeno diced – remove the seeds)
- garlic – if you like garlicky guacamole (add about 1 minced teaspoon worth)
- fruit – something like pineapple, mango, peach, or apple would be good for a little sweetness (add about 1/2 cup)
- bacon – (add about 1/4 cup of crumbled bacon)
- corn – roasted would be especially good, but even straight from the can (drained of course) is good too (add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup) like in our corn and black bean guacamole
- seasonings – something like cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, or onion powder (add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp, to taste)
How to make Guacamole?
Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed and scoop the avocado out into a bowl. Slightly mash the avocado with a fork or potato masher, to your desired consistency, if you like it creamier mash it longer.
Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado, and add the diced onion, and diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and salt. Stir it all together. Taste it and add extra cilantro, salt, or lime juice as needed for flavor. Serve immediately!
Looking for more avocado recipes ?
- Avocado Hummus
- Loaded Tater Tots
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- Everything Bagel Avocado Toast on Two Peas and Their Pod
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 2 large avocados (ripe)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- Cut avocados in half, remove seed and scoop out avocado with a spoon.
- Smash avocado with a fork, to desired consistency.
- Squeeze lime juice over the avocado.
- Add onion, tomato, cilantro, and salt to the bowl. Stir it all together.
- Taste and add extra lime juice, cilantro, or salt as desired.
Guacamole first posted on September 12, 2011. Photos updated on May 13, 2020.