Tuna Casserole

Aimee and Nate came to visit us in California for the long weekend over President’s Holiday. What a wonderful time we had together. We love being together, and I love having them here. It was short, but we filled it full of activities. We got to play games, visit the beach, they were so happy to enjoy the 80 degree weather we had but most of all we were just happy to spend time together.

058edited

One of the activities we enjoyed together was preparing a family dinner together.  We chose tuna casserole because it was a regular dinner in our home while the children were growing up.  This recipe was a favorite and a simple dinner.  I hope you can enjoy it.

Tuna Casserole

Tuna Casserole

Ingredients

• 8 ounces short noodles (your favorite – we used gemelli)
  • 1 can tuna fish – drained
  • 1 can mushroom soup
  • 1/2 can of milk
  • 8 ounces of sour cream
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 cup of ranch dressing (optional, this just adds an extra boost of flavor, but you can leave it out)
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions
  2. Mix tuna fish, mushroom soup, milk, sour cream and ranch dressing all together
  3. Add peas, garlic salt, and pepper; mix
  4. Drain pasta and mix into casserole mixture
  5. Put everything into an oven proof casserole dish
  6. Bake in preheat 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
  7. At the 20 minute mark, sprinkle with the cheese and then finish baking for 10 more minute
  8. Serve, (half my family likes to eat it with ketchup)
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

We hope you like our family casserole; simple but good.

Tuna Casserole

Tuna Casserole

28 Comments

1. This looks delicious! Growing up, I think I put ketchup on EVERYTHING. To this day, I still eat scrambled eggs and plain potato chips with ketchup and black pepper. Cheers to family time and sharing meals together!!!!!!

1. Nicole, I won’t eat scrambled eggs with out ketchup and my mom thinks its disgusting with. I think ketchup makes everything better though, right? — okay, maybe not everything ;)

1. I used to eat cottage cheese with ketchup, salt, and pepper. EWWW!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

2. Haha, okay, I don’t think I could put ketchup on my cottage cheese. But I do like it on my mac and cheese :)

2. Wahoo. A beautiful picture of the bloggers. . . You are exposed.

3. I am enjoying your site and your recipes SO much! Love the classics- tuna casserole, yellow cake with chocolate frosting! I saw you on Grow Your Blog blog hop- so happy I did!

I am now following Like Mother Like Daughter on Google Reader, Twitter, and Facebook.

Joy @ Yesterfood

1. Thank you Joy, we are so happy to have you visit our part of the blog world :)

4. Love tuna casserole! Swinging through with the Thursday blog hop.

5. Aimee! I Love your blog and the idea of it, how fun to be able to cook with your mom and share it with everyone ! I’ve been browsing and looking at your yummy recipes :)! I’m so happy that you are part of the Utah Bloggers group and that I was able to find your awesome blog! PS: Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog! It made my day!

1. Thanks Karina! It is really fun for me to see what recipes my mom makes. And then we both want to try out the recipes that each other made, so it kind of connects us even though we don’t live close.

6. mizzkikiii · · Reply

This was the first tuna casserole I ever made and it was so simple yet so delicious!! I skipped out on the ketchup :) will be making this again very soon.

1. I am so glad you liked it! Even if you did leave the ketchup off ;)

7. Michelle · · Reply

I can’t wait to try this, it looks delicious! I have a silly question. When you say 1/2 can of milk, are you referring to evaporated milk?

8. Ellen Garrett · · Reply

Michelle, thank you for asking that. It should be clarified – I meant from the mushroom soup used, reuse the can with 1/2 can of milk. It also is a good way to get some of the remaining soup from the bottom of the can.

9. Our tuna comes in tiny cans. what size of can do I need?

June Bennett

10. Mary Ellen · · Reply

Could you use rice instead of noodles for the tuna casserole?

1. You probably could, I don’t know if the amount would be the same. Let me know if you try it!

11. Claudia Siebenmark · · Reply

Hi. This looks really good and I am going to make it. Just need to know what size casserole dish should I use?

1. Claudia, as you can see we baked it all in a deep round casserole dish, but I think a 9×13 pan would work great!

12. claudia@tqci.net · · Reply

Thank you Aimee. Yes, I saw that it was a round casserole dish. What I should have asked is the quart size. My round casserole is a 2 1/2 quart. But cooking it all in a 9×13 will work! Thank you!

1. Sorry, it’s my mom’s dish so I am not sure what size it is! I’ll let you know if I find out – but the 9×13 should work great!

13. Claudia Siebenmark · · Reply

Aimee, I just wanted to tell you and your mom that I made the tuna casserole and followed your recipe to the T and used the ranch dressing too. After I got it all mixed up I saw that it would fit in my round casserole dish so that is what I cooked it in. And let me say that this casserole is super delicious!!! It was a total big hit here, and this recipe took the front of the line in my recipe keeper. We love it and will be making this a lot. Posting a link on my Facebook too with an A+++++++++ write up. Thank you and your mom so much for sharing!

1. Ohh, Claudia! I am so glad it has become a favorite for you. It was always one of my favorites growing up and every time I think of it I want it for dinner (like now!) Thanks so much for telling us about your success with it!

14. Jessica · · Reply

I know this recipe is from last year, so I don’t know if you’ll come across my comment. I’m preparing freezer meals before I have my 3rd baby. Do you know if this casserole would freeze well? It looks delicious!

1. I haven’t tried it, but I think it would freeze well. I would just maybe slightly undercook the noodles and don’t do the final cook with it all mixed together until yore reheating it! Good luck with your new baby!! When are you due?

1. Jessica · ·

Thank you. :) I’m not due until Dec. 21, so right now I’m just getting ideas for what will freeze well and what won’t. I probably won’t assemble the meals until the beginning of December. I plan on trying this one out fresh for dinner this week though, too!