This stuffed pepper casserole has all the classic flavors and ingredients of stuffed peppers, but all wrapped up in a casserole, so much easier!
I love stuffed peppers for dinner, but when you want something so much easier, this stuffed pepper casserole, or unstuffed pepper casserole is the perfect solution. It has the same amazing flavors as regular stuffed peppers, but all wrapped up in one dish, that is smothered in cheese, and so delicious to eat.
It’s the same great flavors, without the extra work. I was inspired for this dish from Yummy Healthy Easy and knew it was something I needed to recreate. But I seasoned this casserole with Italian style seasonings, similar to our Italian stuffed pepper recipe.
I shared this amazing stuffed pepper casserole a few years ago at SomewhatSimple.com when I contributed recipes over there, but feel like it needs a permanent place here too.
This casserole has only a few common ingredients, is made with less than 20 minutes of prep work, and is ready to eat in less than 1 hour. It’s a great easy recipe, with delicious flavors and is perfect for a family dinner.
Ingredients Needed to make Stuffed Pepper Casserole:
- olive oil
- bell pepper : green peppers, red peppers, or any color
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- ground beef : can substitute ground turkey
- Italian seasoning
- tomato sauce
- rice : can use your favorite cooked rice for this recipe, white rice, brown rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice, etc.
- mozzarella cheese : can substitute cheddar cheese, colby jack, or any of your favorite shredded cheese varieties.
How to make Stuffed Pepper Casserole?
- Saute your olive oil, diced peppers, onions, and garlic in a large saute pan for a few minutes until the vegetables just start to get soft.
- Add in the ground meat and cook until the meat is cooked through. Drain out the grease.
- Add in the seasonings, salt, tomato sauce, rice, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella. Stir it all together.
- Pour it into your baking dish. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake until it is hot throughout. Remove the foil and let it cook for another few minutes until the cheese on top gets melted and golden.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then serve hot!
Tips and Tricks:
- Instead of ground beef, try substituting ground turkey, or half ground Italian sausage, half ground beef.
- Make this stuffed pepper casserole a low carb dish by using cauliflower rice instead of a regular grained rice.
- You can also make this casserole vegetarian, by leaving out the beef and adding more vegetables, or by adding 15 oz of drained beans, like white beans, black beans, etc.
- Add more vegetables to this dish, by sautéing them up with the diced pepper, and onions – try some mushrooms, or zucchini.
- This recipe does call for already cooked rice, I like to use my favorite minute rice, microwave rice packet, or some leftover rice from another meal to save time.
- Serve this easy casserole with more delicious vegetables, like roasted broccoli, or some yummy rolls, corn bread, or a side salad.
How to store stuffed pepper casserole?
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. They’re easily reheated in the microwave until hot. It’s one of my favorite meals for eating all week long for lunch.
You can also store the leftovers in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cover them in a freezer safe container, or double wrap with plastic wrap and foil.
How to make stuffed pepper casserole ahead of time?
You can even freeze a fully made casserole, just before baking it as a great make ahead meal. Make two casserole dishes and eat one now, and save the other for next time. Wrap the baking pan first in plastic wrap, and then foil.
Let the casserole thaw in the fridge overnight, then bake it according to the recipe card directions. If it’s still a little frozen or too cold in the middle you may need to add about 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time. Just make sure the dish is hot throughout.
This stuffed pepper casserole is one of my favorite easy meals. It’s a family favorite that is the perfect all in one dish, and a delicious meal.
More easy casserole recipes:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil, diced pepper, diced onion and minced garlic over medium high heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables just start to get soft, stirring often.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until it is cooked through completely. Carefully drain the grease out of the pan.
- Add in the Italian seasonings, salt, tomato sauce, rice, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Stir it all together.
- Pour everything into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the dish.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it set for 5 minutes, then serve hot.
This stuffed pepper casserole was first posted on July 25, 2015. The photos and text were updated for clarity on May 13, 2022.