The weather has been pretty amazing here in Utah for the past week and a half or so. Especially last weekend, to the beginning of this week. The weather was in the 80s. The end of the week brought slightly cooler temperatures, but much more spring like, with temps in the 60s.
Last Monday I gave Nate two options for what we could have for dinner and he immediately chose this one. Dutch oven beef enchilada casserole. Although the name is a bit of a mouthful, you won’t mind filling your mouth with this dish. This has become one of our favorite meals since I first made it about a year ago. And with a few minor tweaks, I have made this dish even better.
With the warm weather, we were able to do some yard work while this was cooking and enjoy this delicious meal after. And it definitely got me in the mood for some summer camping. Can’t wait!
2 lbs ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 TBS chopped garlic
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 10 oz can tomato soup
1 25 oz can enchilada sauce
10 oz water
10 large tortillas, torn in strips
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Brown the ground beef, with garlic, salt and onion in a large saute pan.
2. Cook until beef is thoroughly cooked and onion is soft.
3. Add tomato soup, enchilada sauce and water.
4. Simmer for 6-8 minutes.
5. Pour 1/4 of mixture in dutch oven.
6. Cover with a layer of tortilla strips.
7. Pour another 1/4 of mixture on top of tortillas.
8. Sprinkle with 3/4-1 cup of cheese.
9. Add another layer of tortillas.
10. Pour another 1/4 of mixture on top.
11. Add 3/4-1 cup of cheese.
12. Add another layer of tortillas.
13. Pour the remaining meat/sauce mixture on top of the tortillas.
14. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
15. Cover with lid.
16. Place on briquettes and add briquettes to the lid.
17. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melty.
Enjoy topped with (no fat) sour cream !