This Baked Apple Butter French Toast is the perfect fall or winter breakfast. It’s got delicious flavors of apple cinnamon, in a great make a head breakfast. Perfect for any occasion.
How to make Apple Butter French Toast?
- Slice up your French bread loaf and set it aside. Then whisk together all the ingredients for your custard.
- Dip each slice of the bread into the custard, making sure to get some on each side of the bread.
- Then lay them out on a cookie sheet. Pour any extra custard over the slices. Cover the pan and place it in the fridge overnight (or skip it if you don’t have time).
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon (you could also make a full on streusel like our pumpkin french toast casserole has) and drizzle the top of the bread slices with melted butter, then sprinkle the cinnanmon sugar over each of the pieces of bread.
- Then line them up in a square baking pan. Sprinkle any extra cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Bake the French toast until the tops of the slices are golden.
Tips for Making Apple Butter French Toast:
- Use a loaf of bread that is a day old, or even slice the loaf up the day before hand (still keep it in its bag) to help the bread absorb the custard and keep it from turning too soft.
- Instead of a loaf of French bread, you can also use sourdough. If you want it more soft in the middle you can also use brioche or challah bread.
- Add some chopped up pecans or walnuts to the brown sugar mixture, or sprinkle them on top of the slices, for a little extra crunch.
- You can let the bread pieces soak 4 hours, up to overnight in the fridge to make this as a great make ahead dish. You can also skip this and bake it right away if you don’t want to/have time to wait.
- You can also cook your French Toast slices on a clean baking sheet laid out separately to make each of the slices crispier on a bigger section, instead of just the tops. The slices will need to bake for about 10-15 minutes. You can flip them over half way to get both sides crispy.
What to serve with Apple Butter French Toast?
- scrambled eggs
- fried eggs
- breakfast potatoes
- fresh fruit
What to put on Apple Butter French Toast?
Serve this Baked Apple Butter French toast with your favorite syrup, and some fresh fruit. Here are some of my favorites.
This breakfast was inspired by having the missionaries over for breakfast and not wanting to get up hours before they came to prepare a breakfast. So I did a little web surfing on pinterest to find an overnight french toast that I actually had the ingredients to. I adapted this recipe from this Baked Pull-Apart Pumpkin French Toast.
More breakfast recipes:
- Coconut French Toast
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake
- Brioche French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Apple French Toast Casserole
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Apple Butter French Toast
- 14 oz loaf french bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 2 TBS unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 TBS molasses
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (divided)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS unsalted butter (melted)
- Cut loaf into slices, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, milk, apple butter, melted butter, molasses, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Stir them together.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg and milk mixture, letting it soak for a couple seconds on each side. Lay the slices on a cookie sheet. Pour any extra egg mixture over the bread on the pan.
- Cover the bread on the plan with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge overnight. (You can skip this step if you don't have the time).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9inch square pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and the cinnamon together.
- Spread the butter over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon mixture over the top of the bread slices.
- Take the bread slices and place them upright in the prepared pan, stacking each of the slices until thy are all in the pan.
- If there is any extra butter or brown sugar mixture, sprinkle it over the top of the bread.
- Bake the french toast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until hot throughout and the top is golden brown.
- Serve french toast slices hot with your favorite syrup.
This Apple Butter French Toast was first posted on January 23, 2012. The photos and text were updated for clarification on December 15, 2021.