Buckeye Balls are the classic delicious Homemade Peanut Butter Balls dipped in chocolate to resemble the Buckeye Nut, for the perfect easy, no bake dessert.
Buckeye balls are a favorite of mine. If you haven’t tried them yet, you need to change that quickly. These are the perfect peanut butter and chocolate treat. And who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate?
Buckeye balls are named after their resemblance to the buckeye nut, which grows on the buckeye tree. The buckeye tree is the state tree of Ohio, and Ohio is also the Buckeye state. Buckeye nuts are actually toxic though, so you should definitely eat these homemade Buckeyes instead of the nuts 😉
These peanut butter balls taste a bit like Reeses, with their creamy peanut butter filling, all dipped in chocolate. Its a flavor combo that can’t be beat!
These balls are only a few ingredients, six to be exact and they only take a few minutes to throw together. About 45 minutes of chill time, and they’re ready to eat!
It helps if you mix the peanut butter and butter together first, till those are nice and smooth. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar starting with 2 cups. Add in 1/4 cup at a time more as needed. You’ll probably need about 2 1/2 cups, but maybe a little more or less. You want enough powdered sugar so that the balls will hold their shape and consistency, but not too much that they get dry and crumbly. I add in a dash of vanilla and salt to mine, to give them just a teeny bit extra flavor!
With the holidays upon us, its the season of sweets, and this buckeye ball recipe is going to be a new favorite! They’re perfect for making up a batch for a holiday party, sharing a plateful with your friends and neighbors. You can make them extra festive for any holiday by adding sprinkles to the chocolate after you dip them.
For more no bake treats, I think you’ll love try our cookie dough stuffed Oreos, peanut butter buckeye pretzel bites (the pretzel just adds the perfect salty crunch!), or our golden Oreo truffles. If you’re feeling extra festive, you’ll love our Reindeer Oreo balls too.
Looking for more Chocolate and Peanut Butter Recipes?
- Muddy Buddy Cookies
- Peanut Butter Buckeye Pretzel Bites
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Recipe
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter (softened, 1 stick)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 TBS coconut oil (optional - it makes chocolate smoother)
- Combine peanut butter and butter in a large bowl, and beat until combined and smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, while mixing slowly, until combined, and until it reaches a dough like consistency, that will hold its shape. Add more powdered sugar, 1 TBS at a time if needed.
- Scoop into tablespoon sized balls and roll into balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner.
- Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl (with coconut oil if desired) in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until smooth. It should just take about 1 minute total.
- Remove peanut butter balls from the freezer and stick a toothpick in the top.
- Use the toothpick to hold it and dip the buckeye ball into the chocolate.
- Return the ball to the cookie sheet. Remove the toothpick.
- Use your fingers to smooth the peanut butter to remove the toothpick hole.
- Set pan in the fridge to help chocolate harden.
- Store buckeye balls in the fridge in a ziplock bag, or airtight container for 4-5 days.