Cake batter ice cream is a delicious creamy ice cream treat that tastes just like cake batter! Its perfect for birthdays, holidays, or just for a delicious treat!
I love all things cake batter, and this cake batter ice cream is bursting full of that delicious cake batter taste. It literally has almost a cup of yellow cake mix to give it that perfect cake batter-ey flavor.
Tomorrow is once again National Ice Cream Day today – It comes once a year on the 3rd Sunday in July and what a glorious food holiday it is. I mean, really who doesn’t like ice cream?! And what a perfect way to celebrate with a big bowl of homemade ice cream.
As far as food holidays go, ice cream might be one of the best. but in case you didn’t know it was coming today, and don’t have the necessary ingredients on hand, don’t worry, the whole month of July is national ice cream month, so you’ve got a few more days to make this ice cream, or any of our homemade ice cream recipes. And really, lets be honest, ice cream is good any and every day, whether its the proper day to celebrate eating it or not.
This cake batter ice cream is one of the best. I’ll admit, I’m one of those people who licks the bowl clean of batter after making a cake or brownies. So I knew Cake Batter Ice Cream was the one I wanted to share with you for this blessed food holiday.
Nate thinks the cake batter flavor is a little strong, but I think its beyond perfect. Nate says it tastes like funfetti frosting, but I think he’s a little confused by the flavor. 😉 If you want you can always leave the sprinkles out. This cake batter ice cream tastes just like the batter.
If you love licking the beaters, and cleaning out the bowl of cake batter, then you will love this cake batter ice cream. And if you want more cake batter desserts, you’ll love our cake batter mudy buddies, cake batter blondies, and our funfetti cake batter dip.
Ps. Its the perfect ice cream to celebrate this holiday with – its like cake and ice cream in one. Or its perfect for a birthday (hint hint – my bday is in one month). Or its perfect for celebrating any day, because everyone loves ice cream. And this one is delicious.
Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups half and half (or heavy cream)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup yellow cake mix
- 6 TBS rainbow sprinkles (optional (jimmies! nonpareils will bleed)
- Combine milk and sugar in a small pot and heat over medium.
- Heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar milk, half and half, salt and cake mix. Stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker (make sure you prepared your bowl in the freezer ahead of time). Follow manufactures instructions. I mixed mine for 30 minutes.
- Add sprinkles and allow to mix for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove ice cream from ice cream maker and put into a small glass bowl or container. Cover with lid or foil and freeze for additional 2 hours to overnight to get ice cream to harden more.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Things you might need for this recipe:
Recipe first posted on July 21, 2013. Photos and text updated on July 14, 2018.