This broccoli cheese soup is a creamy cheesy, comforting soup that everyone loves. It’s perfect paired with some fresh bread on a cool day!
I love soup, one of my favorite soup flavors is broccoli cheese soup (tied with our chicken enchilada soup) and I am finally sharing the recipe here with you.
This broccoli cheese soup is perfect for a chilly day. Who doesn’t love grabbing a warm bowl of homemade cheesy broccoli soup to warm up with. It’s perfect paired with some homemade bread, or rolls from your favorite store and you’ve got the perfect combination.
Growing up I never liked broccoli, but I did always like broccoli cheese soup. It’s probably because all the creamy, cheesy deliciousness of this soup, you hardly even notice the vegetables. 😉
This broccoli cheese soup can cook up in only about 1 hour, with just a few steps – so you’re ready to dig in to a big bowl of this soup in no time!
September Soup Recipe Challenge:
We’ve started something new this year. We do a monthly recipe challenge, with different themes each month. For the month of September, the theme is soup! At the end of the month I’ll randomly select one entry to be the winner and send them a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
HERE’S HOW TO ENTER OUR SEPTEMBER SOUP CHALLENGE:
- Choose any soup recipe from our website, and make it! It could be any soup recipe from our site (including chilis, stews, etc.)! We have so many amazing soup recipes, you’re bound to find something you love. You could make our white chicken chili, chicken enchilada soup, chicken pot pie soup, slow cooker chicken noodle soup, lasagna soup, you name it.
- Send me a picture of the recipe you made. Snap a quick picture on your phone and email it to me at email@example.com, or you can DM it to me on instagram @lmldfood.
- Get Bonus Entries by leaving a comment with a review on the recipe you made. Make sure to let me know in the comment that you made it for our September Soup Challenge so I can keep track!
- Make as many soup recipes as you want, and get entered each time you make one and send me a photo.
The challenge is open to anyone over 18 years of age, and runs from September 1st, 2021 to September 30, 2021. The winner will be randomly selected. The odds of winning depend on how many entries are received. I will reach out via email or Instagram to notify the winner on October 1, 2021.
Here are our past monthly challenges, for fun:
- S’mores Dip (S’mores Recipes)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Ice Cream Recipes)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (No Bake Recipes)
- German Potato Salad (Potluck Recipes)
- Lemon Sheet Cake (Citrus Recipes)
**This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links, at no additional costs to you.
How to make Broccoli Cheese Soup?
- Add some butter to a large sauce pan and let it melt. Then add in the diced onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until they are soft, and fragrant, and the onions are translucent.
- Add in some flour to the mixture and cook for a few minutes again, until the mixture is thick.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, stirring the whole time as you add it.
- Then slowly pour in the half and half.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli, and carrots, and salt and pepper. And simmer for another 20 minutes or so until the vegetables are tender and the soup has thickened some.
- Slowly add in the cheddar cheese, while stirring until it’s mixed into the soup.
- Then serve it up hot!
Tips for making Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- This soup works best with freshly grated cheddar cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is mixed with anti-caking agents which means it won’t melt as smoothly into the soup.
- This soup is easily made vegetarian by using a rich vegetable stock rather than chicken stock.
- Make sure to cook this soup over medium heat, it gives the best results in a smooth, creamy texture of the soup.
- Add one handful or cheese at a time, letting the cheese melt completely between each addition. This will make help to ensure there are no clumps, and the soup is not grainy.
- This soup is so good on it’s own, but it’s also delicious sprinkled with extra cheese or some crumbled bacon on top.
If you have any leftover soup, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the soup in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove top.
This broccoli cheese soup is the perfect dish for a cold autumn or winter day. It’s thick, rich, creamy, cheesy, and everything you’d want in a soup!
More soup recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 TBS butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups half and half
- 3-4 cups broccoli (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (trimmed, peeled, and sliced in thin rounds) (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large sauce pan, add your butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally till translucent.
- Add flour to the mixture, and cook until the flour onion mixture is thickened. (About 3 minutes)
- Slowly add in the chicken or vegetable stock, while stirring.
- Slowly add in the half and half while stirring constantly.
- Allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened some. Whisk occasionally to reincorporate the skin on top.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir in till smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Soup stores well in the fridge for about 1 week, in an airtight container.
This broccoli cheese soup was first posted on October 20, 2017. The photos and text were updated for clarity on September 10, 2021.