Broccoli cheese soup is a creamy, cheesy, and comforting soup that everyone will love! Its perfect paired with fresh bread on a cold day!
I love soup! One of my favorite soups is broccoli cheese soup and I can’t believe we have not shared a recipe for you with these delicious flavors before now. Its perfect for a chilly day, I mean who doesn’t love grabbing a hot bowl of homemade cheesy broccoli soup, pair it with your own homemade bread, or your favorite from the store and you’ve got the perfect combination!
When I was younger I never liked broccoli, but I always liked broccoli cheese soup. It is probably because the cheesy goodness of the soup.
This broccoli cheese soup cooks up in only about 1 hour, and with only a few steps so you’re eating a big bowl of it no time!
Its so good on its own, but its also really good sprinkled with a little bacon on top. Either way you have it, you won’t regret it and its the perfect dish for a cold autumn or winter day! Its thick, rich, creamy, cheesy, and everything you’d want in a soup!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 TBS butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups half and half
- 3-4 cups broccoli (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (trimmed, peeled, and sliced in thin rounds) (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large sauce pan, add your butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally till translucent.
- Add flour to the mixture, and cook until the flour onion mixture is thickened. (About 3 minutes)
- Slowly add in the chicken or vegetable stock, while stirring.
- Slowly add in the half and half while stirring constantly.
- Allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots. Add in the salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened some. Whisk occasionally to reincorporate the skin on top.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir in till smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Soup stores well in the fridge for about 1 week, in an airtight container.
This soup was so tasty that our picky eater cat Pippin lapped it right up after we spilled some on the floor, so if you don’t want to take our word for it, take Pippin’s.