This cheddar corn chowder is hearty, creamy, and packed full of flavor. It’s made with corn, potatoes, lots of cheese, and crispy bacon. It’s a perfect soup to enjoy all year long.
**This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links, at no additional costs to you.
I love soup season, when the weather starts to cool down and I just want to come inside after riding a hay ride to a big hearty bowl of corn chowder. Sounds dreamy, doesn’t it? This corn chowder is actually great for making all year long. It’s delicious with fresh sweet corn in the summer, and perfect for a cool day in autumn or winter.
This corn chowder is rich, and creamy, and flavorful, and so heartwarmingly delicious.
This cheesy corn chowder is so easy to make, with only one pot, and is ready in less than an hour. It’s great for any day of the week, and any day of the year.
This recipe is altered from The Barefoot Contessa cook book.
How to make Corn Chowder?
Add the onions and butter to the bacon fat and cook them all together until the onion is soft and translucent.
Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook until the flour is mixed into the butter completely, and forms a sort of paste.
Add in the chicken stock and potatoes, and bring the mixture to boil. Then slightly lower the temperature and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until they’re nice and soft.
Stir in the corn. Then stir in the half and half and cheese and cook until the cheese is totally melted.
Scoop up bowls of the soup and top each bowl with bacon bits, and whatever other toppings you want and eat hot.
Topping ideas for Corn Chowder:
- More shredded cheese
- Diced chives or green onion
- Diced jalapenos
- A dollop of sour cream
- Tortilla chips or strips
Tips for making Corn Chowder:
- Instead of using frozen corn, you could also substitute canned corn. Or it would be extra amazing with corn cut straight off the cob.
- You can add in up to one cup of diced carrots or celery. Add them in when you add the potatoes so they cook long enough.
- You can make this soup vegetarian by omitting the bacon, and substituting the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
What to serve with Corn Chowder?
I love a big bowl of soup on it’s own, but it’s also delicious served with some of these:
- A side salad: to help balance out the hearty soup
- Fresh bread or rolls: for dipping right into the soup
- Roasted vegetables: Like zucchini, broccoli, or asparagus
- Corn bread: can you have too much corn 😉
This rich and hearty cheesy corn chowder is the perfect soup for serving all year long. It’s creamy, packed full of flavor, and so filling. Perfect served with some fresh bread.
More soup recipes:
- Ham and Potato Chowder
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cheddar Corn Chowder
- 4 oz bacon
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1.5 pounds corn
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese
- Add the bacon to a large stockpot and cook it over medium high heat until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon and set it on some paper towels to soak up some of the grease.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the onions and butter, and cook them in the bacon fat for about 5-8 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric, and cook for about 1-2 minutes until they are fully mixed into the butter.
- Add in the chicken stock and potatoes, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the temperature slightly and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir the corn into the soup.
- Add in the half and half and shredded cheese and stir them into the soup. Continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is fully melted.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve bowls of soup with the crunchy bacon bits on top.
This cheddar corn chowder was first posted on January 30, 2011. The photos and text were updated for clarity on September 15, 2021.