How to make crockpot chicken and dumplings?
Tips for making slow cooker chicken and dumplings?
- Instead of two cans of cream of chicken soup you could also use cream of mushroom soup, or cream of celery soup.
- Cut carrots and celery quite small or they will need longer to cook. The bigger pieces will still be a bit crunchy if cooked for one hour.
- Instead of chopping up your own fresh vegetables, you are welcome to use frozen vegetables. For frozen veggies make sure they are defrosted before adding them in to the slow cooker. The frozen vegetables may cook faster, and will probably only need 30 minutes compared to the fresh vegetables.
- Instead of carrots, celery, and corn you can use your choice of similar vegetables. Some other good options are peas, or potatoes (diced small!). You can also leave them all out, except for the onion. You need the onion for flavor – just dice it super finely if you don’t want to see it later.
- My biscuits were cooked in about 60 minutes, but slow cookers may vary and require extra time. Probably no more than an additional 30 minutes, but it may take 1 hour more.
This crockpot chicken and dumplings is such a delicious dish, it’s made with only a few minutes of work on your part, all thanks to the slow cooker. It’s comfort food at it’s finest, and everyone will be going back for seconds.
Looking for more comfort food recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 onion)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 (10) oz cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup canned corn
- 16 oz can refrigerated biscuits
- Place the diced onion into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the diced onion
- Sprinkle herbs and salt and pepper over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Pour cream of chicken soup and chicken broth over the top of the chicken breast. Spread evenly over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook for 3 hours on high, or about 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred the chicken with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add in the celery, carrots, and corn, and stir everything together.
- Cut raw biscuits into quarters.
- Sprinkle biscuits over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Cook for another 1 hour on high, or until the vegetables are tender and the biscuits are cooked through.
- Stir biscuits in if you want them more dumpling like.
- Serve hot.
These crockpot chicken and dumplings were first posted on August 6, 2011. The photos and blog text were updated on September 16, 2020.
This chicken and dumpling recipe was first posted on August 6, 2011. The photos and text were updated on September 16, 2020.