Chicken lettuce wraps are perfect for when you want something delicious but fast and easy. These are so healthy too with all those vegetables like carrots, peppers, and onions. Plus the most amazing peanut sauce!
Are you sick and tired of me posting dessert recipes yet? I truly am sorry if you are. But I love making desserts, you see I love sweets, more than anything. But sometimes I like cooking other things too.
Actually, I always like cooking other things too. I really just wish I had enough time/money to cook all day long, but alas that is not the case. So sometimes I have to figure out quick and cheap meals that I can make, that stick to our budget and can be made in a short time after I get home from work. This is one of those recipes.
I’ve made this asian lettuce wraps recipe that my mom shared a few times before, with great results. But this time I forgot about a few of the ingredients and went with what I had on hand instead.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For Lettuce Wrap Filling:
- 2 TBS olive oil (divided)
- 1 lb chicken breasts (dices
- 1 cup diced green or red pepper
- 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 TBS peanut butter
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
For Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 head butter lettuce
- cooked rice (optional)
- fried rice sticks (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Add 1 TBS olive oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium high heat.
- Cook your chicken in the pan until golden on the outside, and cooked throughout. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the chopped vegetables and garlic to the pan, with another 1 TBS olive oil, and cook for about 15 minutes.
For the Sauce:
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a small pot, and heat over medium until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the vegetables are done cooking, add the chicken back into the pan, and add in the sauce. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to incorporate.
- Separate the leaves of lettuce from the head, and add rice, or rice sticks. Top with chicken and veggie mixture, and your choice of toppings, and enjoy.