Creamy chicken enchilada soup is packed full of flavors with black beans, shredded chicken, corn, diced tomatoes and more for a creamy and delicious, comforting bowl of soup that everyone will love!
Our slow cooker chicken enchilada soup has quickly grown to be the most popular recipe on our blog. I totally get it though, because 1) it’s totally delicious 2) it’s super easy. I mean, you pretty much just dump everything into the slow cooker!
A few readers made suggestions of adding in some cream cheese to the mix, and I knew it was a genius idea, so I made this alternative creamy chicken enchilada soup and it is so delicious!
This soup is packed full of flavor with enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, diced green chiles and more yummy ingredients with hardly any work involved.
It’s made creamy with the addition of cream cheese and a little shredded cheese at the end and I promise you with those additions its even more tasty than the original. You can make this soup on the stove top, like I’ve done or in the slow cooker if you want to set it and forget it for a few hours. Just make sure its on high when you add in the cheeses at the end so they can melt throughout.
How to make Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup?
Add your chicken breasts, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic, salt, and taco seasoning to a slow cooker or large stock pot. Cook for about 30 minutes on the stove top, or for 3 to 4 hours on high in the crock pot. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked through.
When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it using two forks. Return the chicken to the pot and add in the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese as well. Cook for another 10 minutes or so until the cream cheese and shredded cheese are fully melted into the soup. Or cook on high in the slow cooker, for about 30 minutes.
Serve the soup with all your favorite toppings on top.
Now, to make the soup the best it can possibly be, it’s all about the toppings. My favorites are shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips. The cheddar cheese and sour cream just melt into the soup making it even more cheesy and creamy than before.
The tortilla strips soften up a bit when added to the soup that they thicken it up some, or you can scoop it up with tortilla chips as you eat it, which is my other favorite. You can also add some chopped cilantro, and diced green onions to pack in a little more flavor.
What toppings should I put on my Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup?
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- diced green onions
- sliced avocado or guacamole
Looking for more amazing soup recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
For the Soup:
- 2-3 large chicken breasts raw and thawed
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can corn drained
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock or about 1 14oz can
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS taco seasoning
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- diced green onion
- Pour all ingredients except the cream cheese and mozzarella into a large pot heated over medium high heat on the stove top.
- Allow to cook for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred in a bowl using 2 forks. Return to pot.
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add them and the shredded mozzarella cheese to the pot.
- Stir well until the cream cheese has melted completely into the soup.
- Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla strips, etc.
If you like this soup, you might also like these: