These amazing German chocolate cake cookies start with a cake mix cookie base, topped with a delicious homemade coconut pecan frosting! Just like a slice of German chocolate cake in cookie form!
**This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurelySimple #CollectiveBias
One of the easiest, and my favorite ways to make cookies is with a cake mix for the base. These German chocolate cake cookies are no exception in that they are one of my new favorite cookie recipes, and my husband can be quoted saying they might be the best cookies I’ve ever made.
These cookies start with a simple chocolate cake mix cookie base. When I heard about the new Pillsbury Purely Simple Cake Mixes I knew I had to give them a go. I grabbed a couple boxed from my local Smith’s store and the just knew that a German chocolate cake cookie would be the perfect thing to make with them! I grabbed some chopped pecans, evaporated milk and shredded coconut for the frosting too, and those would pair perfectly with the butter, eggs and chocolate chips I already had at home. And those are all the ingredients these cookies need.
So to make the cookies you’ll mix your Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake Mix with 2 large eggs, and 1/4 cup softened butter. Mix everything together till you have a nice and thick dough. Roll into tablespoon, or tablespoon and a half sized balls and place 12 on a lined cookie sheet. Bake up for about 7 or 8 minutes until the tops are nice and crackly. Then allow the cookies to cool completely.
When the cookies are cooled you’ll whip up your coconut pecan frosting. I altered my German chocolate cake frosting recipe to make a smaller amount, since I just needed enough for about 24 cookies. You’ll combine egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla until they’re combined. Then add in some sugar and butter and heat it all up on your stove top for about 15 minutes till its a nice golden brown color, and nice and thick too.
Add in your shredded coconut and chopped pecans and mix well. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then spread a nice amount onto the top of each of your cookies. Allow to cool completely or eat them with the frosting warm. I wanted a chocolate drizzle over the top of mine, so I let the frosting cool then drizzled some melted chocolate chips over the top. Simple as that.
And SO delicious!
Another great thing about Pillsbury Purely Simple Cake Mixes, besides being delicious? They are free of added colors, artificial flavors and preservatives. So voila. Here’s the amazing recipe for ya!
German Chocolate Cake Cookies
For the Chocolate Cookie
- 1 box Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
For the Coconut Pecan Frosting:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/4 chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Cookie:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine your cake mix, butter and eggs and stir together to make a thick cookie batter.
- Take about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a nice ball.
- Place 12 dough balls onto a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes till the tops start to split and they look done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Coconut Pecan Frosting:
- In a medium sized sauce pan, beat together your egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in the sugar and butter and heat over the stove top on medium high heat for about 15 minutes. Stir constantly for the last 10 minutes or so once mixture is boiling.
- Stir in your coconut flakes and chopped pecans.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before spreading some on top of each cookie.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, till smooth.
- Put melted chocolate in a small ziplock bag. Clip the corner of the bag.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top in a zig zag pattern.
- Allow chocolate to harden and enjoy.
Grab some Pillsbury Simple Cake Mix or Brownie Mixes from your local Kroger brand store using this coupon to save .50 cents!
GET READY TO MAKE THESE DELICIOUS GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE COOKIES WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS: