These creamy chicken taquitos are delicious crunchy taquitos stuffed full of a creamy, cheesy, chicken mixture. Delicious for lunch or dinner, especially good served with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
These creamy chicken taquitos are such a great option for lunch or dinner that the whole family will love, even my kids love them! They’re creamy, and cheesy, and flavorful. And so easy to make too! They can be ready in about 30 minutes, which makes them perfect for dinner on a busy day.
You can also serve them with a yummy salad, or some mexican rice, refried beans, or even some roasted corn, or other veggies to make a full meal of it.
You only need 6 ingredients to make these creamy chicken taquitos, though I recommend not skipping on the toppings too. I love mine with some sour cream, and guacamole, and maybe a little salsa, or pico de gallo too.
Ingredients needed to make Creamy Chicken Taquitos:
- cream cheese – the block kind, softened
- salsa -whatever your favorite is, homemade or storebought.
- taco teasoning – to add some flavor
- shredded chicken – leftover rotisserie, or any cooked chicken will work. Our crockpot shredded chicken works great for these.
- shredded cheese – I use cheddar, but a Mexican blend, colby jack, or whatever you prefer will work
- small tortillas – I prefer flour, but corn works great too and is more traditional.
How to make Creamy Chicken Taquitos?
Combine the cream cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning in a large bowl. Add the chicken and fold it into the cream cheese.
Add a couple tablespoons of the creamy chicken mixture down the middle of a tortilla, and sprinkle it with shredded cheese.
Roll the tortilla up tightly and place it seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with additional taquitos.
Bake the taquitos in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the tortillas are golden and crispy and the insides are hot.
Tips for making Creamy Chicken Taquitos:
- This is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. Whether leftover grilled chicken breasts, or rotisserie chicken from the store, shred it, or chop it up in small pieces before mixing.
- You can also fry the taquitos in oil, it’ll be a bit messier, but the taquitos will be crispier. Stick a toothpick through the taquitos to hold the tortillas secure, then fry them for 3 to 5 minutes in about 1/2 inch of oil, rotating to cook both sides, and cook until they are golden brown.
- If you want the taquitos to be spicy, add in some hot sauce, or diced up adobo peppers to the shredded chicken mixture.
- If you’re using corn tortillas, before assembly, wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 1 minute. This will make the tortillas pliable and less likely to rip or tear when rolling them up.
- These chicken taquitos are a great make-ahead option. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advanced, and store it in the fridge in an airtight container. Roll it up in the tortillas when you’re ready to bake them.
How to freeze Chicken Taquitos?
You can also freeze these taquitos. Make the filling, and roll the taquitos up as instructed. Lay them out on a baking pan and place it in the freezer until they are frozen solid. Then transfer them to a freezer bag. They will store well in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake them, preheat them oven to 425F. Bake them for about 20-30 minutes, until the tortillas are golden and crisp on the outside, and the insides are hot throughout.
You can also freeze the already baked taquitos, they shouldn’t need to bake as long the second time when reheating, or you can reheat them in an air fryer.
These creamy chicken taquitos are the perfect weeknight dinner! They’d also make a great party appetizer too. Whenever you have them, I promise you’ll love them!
More easy dinner recipes:
- Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Chile Colorado Burritos
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- French Bread Pizza
- Easy Swedish Meatballs
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 TBS taco seasoning
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 small flour tortillas (6 inches each)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cream cheese, salsa and taco seasoning to a mixing bowl and stir them together until smooth.
- Add the shredded chicken and fold it into the mixture.
- Add about 2-4 TBS of creamy chicken mixture to the middle of a tortilla.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Roll the tortilla up tightly. Place it seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray, and sprinkle them lightly with salt.
- Bake the taquitos for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden and crispy, and the filling is hot.
- Serve the taquitos topped with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.