These loaded mashed potatoes are like a loaded baked potato mixed with mashed potatoes. They are packed full of flavor, and so delicious! The perfect side dish for practically any occasion.
These loaded mashed potatoes are creamy and flavorful mashed potatoes, loaded with cheese, bacon, and chives giving them those great baked potato flavors all wrapped up in a hearty and comforting bowl of mashed potatoes.
These loaded mashed potatoes are perfect for serving up with so many different meals. They’d be great with some meatloaf, or grilled chicken or steak. It would also be so fun to serve at Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner to add a fun twist to traditional mashed potatoes.
How to make Loaded Mashed Potatoes?
- Cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water until they are fork tender.
- Drain the water out and add the potatoes back to the pot, or into a large bowl. Mash them with a potato masher until the potatoes are pretty smooth, with just a few lumps.
- Add in the butter, garlic paste, heavy cream, sour cream and salt and pepper, stirring them into the potatoes.
- Then fold in the cheese, bacon, and chives, until combined.
- You can top the bowl of potatoes with additional salt, pepper, cheese, and chives, if desired.
Tips for making Loaded Mashed Potatoes:
- You can also serve these loaded potatoes up casserole style in a 9×13 dish, by spreading extra cheddar cheese all over the top of them, then heating at 350 F until the cheese is melted.
- Do not mix the mashed potatoes with an immersion blender, only mix them by hand or the potato will get gummy.
- Freshly shredded cheese will melt much better into the potatoes than pre-grated from the store because it contains less fillers.
- You can choose to peel your potatoes, or leave the skins on. If you are using a different variety of potatoes (like Russets) I recommend peeling them.
- Some other flavors that would be yummy to add are diced jalapenos, french fried onions, or diced mushrooms.
- These mashed potatoes can be made about a day in advance, but the potatoes might dry out some, so you’ll probably need some extra cream or milk to stir back into the potatoes, to help soften them back up when reheating.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
These loaded mashed potatoes are so packed full of flavor and full of all things good. Loaded with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives. They’re delicious and perfect with any meal!
More Potato Recipes:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Loaded Potato Skins
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes (chopped, skin on)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 pound bacon (about 6 pieces, cooked and chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp minced chives
- Add the washed potato pieces to a large pot and cover with water, to 1 inch above the potatoes. Bring the water to boil, then cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the water, and add the potatoes back to the pot, and smash the potatoes over low heat with a potato masher until they are mostly smooth.
- Stir in the sour cream, butter, heavy cream, garlic paste, and salt and pepper.
- Fold in the bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, and chives, and mix until combined.
- Top with additional salt, pepper, and chives if desired.