These mashed sweet potatoes are so delicious, and a perfect flavorful savory side dish paired with your favorite dinner! Add some chipotle powder to your sweet potatoes for a delicious spicy kick.
Happy November! I can’t believe it’s already November and Thanksgiving is only 3 weeks away.
These savory mashed sweet potatoes are such a delicious side dish option. There are so many sweet sweet potato recipes out there, but these are such a tasty alternative.
These mashed sweet potatoes are perfect for adding to Thanksgiving dinner for sweet potato lovers, instead of the traditional sweet potato casserole, or our delicious sweet potato patties. But they would also be good paired with some grilled chicken, pork chops, or some yummy steaks. They’re so versatile you can have them any time of the year.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes?
These mashed sweet potatoes are only 6 ingredients and so easy to make!
You will first boil your diced sweet potatoes until they are nice and tender. Melt your butter in a pot while they’re boiling, with some cream to make them nice and rich.
Let the sweet potato pieces dry for a few minutes on some paper towels to get rid of some of their extra moisture.
Then add the sweet potatoes, butter, heavy cream, and seasonings all to a large bowl, and mash it up to your desired consistency. Serve them hot with your favorite dinner, and voila!
TIP: The best way to mash them is with a potato masher, rice mixer, or even a hand mixer works!
These mashed sweet potatoes are delicious enough to eat on their own, but they would also be so great topped with your favorite homemade gravy!
Instead of mashed potatoes, how about adding some mashed sweet potatoes to your Thanksgiving dinner this year. These sweet potatoes are so delicious, and definitely will become a new dinner favorite.
More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes:
- Sweet Glazed Carrots
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Rolls
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled, and diced)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (optional, to taste)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Peel and dice your sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large stockpot and cover them with cold water, 2 inches over the top of the potatoes. Heat over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the temperature to a simmer, and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the butter, and cream to a stock pot over medium low heat while the potatoes are cooking. Let the butter melt and remove it from the heat.
- Once tender, drain the potatoes and lay them out on paper towels to get the excess water off, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl, and add the butter and cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and chipotle powder.
- Mash the potatoes until they reach your desired consistency.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings as necessary, to your preferences.