This key lime pie ice cream is a creamy, no ice cream maker required, ice cream with the perfect tangy lime flavor, and swirls of graham cracker crust. It’s like a slice of key lime pie all wrapped up into a bowl of ice cream.
This ice cream is a delicious tangy, and zesty lime flavored ice cream stuffed full of an easy homemade graham cracker crust swirl. It’s everything you’d want in an actual slice of key lime pie, but in creamy, and delicious ice cream form. And who doesn’t love ice cream, especially on a hot summer day?
I shared this amazing no churn key lime pie ice cream over at Lolly Jane first, but its seriously so good that I had to share it here with our readers too.
Because it’s a no churn ice cream recipe that means you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make it. All you need are a few ingredients, a couple of bowls, and a mixer. I know a lot of people don’t have ice cream makers, and even if you do, this ice cream is so simple, you’ll be happy not to lug your ice cream machine out.
The ice cream is not as smooth to scoop as a typical churned ice cream, it’s a little harder to scoop into nice scoops because of this, but it practically melts in your mouth. It’s so delicious with the graham cracker swirl throughout!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this key lime pie ice cream recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- heavy whipping cream – you can’t make any substitutes for this recipe because you need to be able to whip the cream into stiff peaks
- sweetened condensed milk – this gives the ice cream it’s sweetness, and since it’s an ingredient in key lime pie it also helps with the flavor.
- lime juice – key limes can be hard to find all year long, you can use a bottled key lime juice, or a juice from regular limes.
- lime zest – this helps amplify the lime flavor in the ice cream.
- graham crackers – graham cracker crumbs give this ice cream the perfect flavor of an actual slice of pie.
- granulated sugar – to add just a little sweetness to the graham cracker crumble.
- butter – melted and added to the graham cracker crumbs to make a nice crumble.
How to make Key Lime Pie Ice Cream?
- Crush your graham crackers into a fine crumb, you can use a zip-top bag and hammer them, or pulse them into a crumb in a blender or food processor. Mix them up with a little sugar and butter in a small bowl and set it aside until it’s needed.
- Whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks in a large bowl. I recommend using a stand mixer or hand mixer, otherwise you’ll have a very sore arm.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture, slowly with a rubber spatula until they are totally combined.
- Scoop about one third of the soft cream mixture into a 2quart container (a loaf pan works great for this), then sprinkle one third of the graham cracker crumble over the ice cream. Repeat with another third of the ice cream, more of the graham cracker crumble. Followed by the final bit of ice cream, and crumble.
- Cover the container and place the ice cream into the freezer for at least 6 hours, up to overnight.
Tips and Tricks:
- Key limes aren’t available all year long, so you’re welcome to make this ice cream with the juice and zest of any limes. I recommend fresh Persian lime juice over using Nellie & Joe’s bottled key lime juice, but that’ll work if you need too.
- Add in some additional mix ins like pretzels or white chocolate chips, if desired.
- This ice cream is less creamy than an ice cream you’d run through your ice cream maker, so make sure to let the ice cream sit out for a few minutes after freezing to soften a bit, to help you scoop it.
How to store?
Homemade lime ice cream will last for up to 1 month in the freezer. Make sure to have an airtight container with a lid to prevent the ice cream from getting too icy, or getting freezer burn.
Even without an ice cream maker, this key lime pie ice cream is fresh, and so delicious. It tastes like a key lime pie, and is as good as you could get from your favorite store or ice cream shop.
More No Churn Ice Cream Recipes:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Fudge Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
- Mint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Turtle Ice Cream on The Recipe Rebel
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Ice Cream on Colleen Christensen Nutrition
If you make this key lime pie ice cream recipe, please let me know! Leave a star rating on this recipe below and leave a comment. Take a photo and tag me on Instagram #lmldfood
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
No Churn Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice (key lime if you can, but Persian limes work too)
- 2 tsp lime zest (key lime if you can, but Persian limes work too)
For the graham cracker crust:
- 3 graham cracker sheets
- 1/2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS melted butter
- Pulse the graham crackers into a fine crumb with a food processor, or blender.
- Add them to a small bowl and stir in the sugar and melted butter. Set the bowl aside.
- Pour the heavy cream into a large mixing bowl and whip over high speed until medium stiff peaks form.
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest in another large bowl.
- Add the whipped cream to the condensed milk mixture and fold together till thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop about 1/3 of the ice cream into a 2 qt container. Then sprinkle about 2 to 3 TBS of the graham cracker crumble over the ice cream.
- Repeat with more ice cream, more graham cracker crumble, more ice cream, and the final graham cracker crumble.
- Cover the pan tightly and place in the freezer for at least 6 hours, up to overnight.
- Let the ice cream sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes before scooping.
This key lime pie ice cream was first posted on April 18, 2015. The photos and text were updated on July 6, 2022.