This mint chocolate chip ice cream is just as good (or better) than you’ll get from the store. Creamy mint ice cream made without an ice cream maker and stuffed full of chocolate chunks!
Do you guys love mint chocolate desserts as much as I do? I sure hope so because I’ve got this amazing no churn mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe for you today, and I have a couple more amazing mint chocolate desserts headed your way in the next couple days too.
This mint chocolate chip ice cream is made without an ice cream maker, so you can have delicious and creamy homemade ice cream maker even if you don’t have an ice cream maker (or if you forget to put your ice cream bowl in the freezer the night before hand – which is always my problem!)
You only need a few ingredients, and it only takes a few minutes of prep work. The only hard part is you have to be patient while your ice cream freezes for a few hours (I prefer overnight to make it more scoopable like pictured), and then you’re ready to dig in!
This mint chocolate chip ice cream only needs a few ingredients.
What do you need to make no churn mint chocolate chip ice cream?
- heavy whipping cream – you can’t substitute half and half for this one, because you need to be able to whip the cream into stiff peaks – since we won’t be using an ice cream maker
- sweetened condensed milk – instead of adding sugar, this is where you get your sweetness, and keeps it from being gritty
- peppermint extract – I recommend not using mint as it can have spearmint in it as well, and might tastes like toothpaste
- chocolate – I just like using a bar of baking chocolate, and chopping it up into pieces, you could also use mini chocolate chips
- green food coloring – this is optional, but gives the ice cream that light minty green color we are used to seeing at the store, or ice cream shops
How to make No Churn Mint Ice Cream?
In a large bowl whip your heavy cream until stiff peaks start to form (the amount of time that takes will depend on how powerful your mixer, or your arm, is. Basically you’re just making whipped cream here, without adding any sugar or vanilla.
In another bowl combine your sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract, food coloring (if you’re using it), and chocolate bits. The chocolate bits might sink here, but once they’re folded into the whipped cream it should be okay.
Then pour your sweetened condensed milk mixture into your whipped cream, and gently fold them together till nicely mixed. You want to mix it softly so that the whipped cream stays a bit fluffy.
Pour it all into a 3quart pan and cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer for at least 6 hours, but I like to freeze mine overnight so the ice cream is a bit more frozen, and thicker.
How to store Homemade Mint Ice Cream?
Keep the ice cream covered and stored in the freezer in the original 3 quart container, or a specific ice cream container. The ice cream will last in the freezer for 2 weeks.
Homemade Mint Ice Cream Variations:
- Add chopped up Oreos instead of chocolate for a mint cookies and cream ice cream.
- Skip the green food coloring and chocolate, and add crushed candy cane pieces for a yummy peppermint candy cane ice cream.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of my favorite flavors (though if we are being honest, I might have 10 or so favorites 😉 ) But this homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream does not disappoint.
Even without an ice cream maker, the ice cream is creamy, fresh, minty cool, and full of chunky chocolate pieces. It’s so delicious, and tastes as good as you could buy from the store or your favorite ice cream shop!
I love scooping up a bowl with some hot fudge on top, but it’s delicious on it’s own too.
More mint chocolate desserts:
- Mint Brownies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Poke Cake
- Copy Cat Thin Mints
- Mint Oreo Truffles
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3-6 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup chopped up chocolate
- Large Mixing Bowl
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream over high speed, until you have stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, combine the condensed milk, peppermint extract, and food coloring
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture, and the chopped chocolate over the whipped cream, and fold everything gently together till combined.
- Pour into a 3 QT pan and cover tightly with plastic wrap
- Place in freezer for at least 6 hours, to overnight before serving.
This no churn mint chocolate chip ice cream was first posted on March 2, 2015. The photos and blog text were updated on March 3, 2021.
GET READY TO MAKE THIS AMAZING NO CHURN ICE CREAM WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS:
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Mixing Bowls
- Kitchen Aid Mixer
- Handheld Power Mixer
- 9×5 Pan
- Peppermint Extract
- Chocolate Baking Chunks