Scotcheroos are the perfect gooey and chewy no bake treat bar! With a peanut butter rice crispy treat topped with butterscotch and chocolate!
I remember I first tried scotcheroos at a church party, it wasn’t exactly significant, except I remember loving this sweet no dessert. I never would have thought of combing the flavors of peanut butter with butterscotch, but with the chocolate too these flavors make a perfect combination.
I actually tried making scotcheroos once before, and don’t ask me how but they totally sucked. I think I may have added too much cereal because they were too crumbly and dry.
So when I knew I wanted to try them again this week I read about 10 recipes on how to make them online, to see if one had more or less of something to make sure I wouldn’t make the mistake again. But they were all the same. So, I stuck with the basics and gave it another go. And they turned out marvelously this time.
Honestly, I have no idea how I messed these scotcheroos up the first time I made them, because they’re so simple to make. You only need 6 ingredients, most of which you probably already on hand.
What do you need to make scotcheroos?
You need white sugar, light corn syrup, creamy peanut butter, crispy rice cereal, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips. That’s it.
How do you make scotcheroos?
You’ll combine your sugar and corn syrup in a medium sized pot. You’ll bring that mixture to boil over a medium high temperature on your stove top, stirring often, and once it’s boiling remove it from the oven. The sugar should be dissolved and you can mix in your peanut butter now.
Then you’ll pour that whole mixture over the top of the rice cereal. Mix it till the cereal is covered evenly and press it into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
Combine your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute at half powder. Stir as much as you can. Then microwave for additional 30 second increments at half power till you can stir the chips all together and get a creamy melty chocolate. Pour it over the top of the bars and spread evenly to the edges.
Allow the bars to sit until the chocolate on top is set then slice them up and enjoy!
I’m sure this is a recipe many of us have had for a while, but I just had to share it because these scotcheroo bars are so delicious!
If you love butterscotch, peanut butter, and chocolate – either together or separate, then you will love this easy no bake treat!
Looking for more scotcheroo recipes?
- chocolate butterscotch puppy chow
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Scotcharoos on The Gunny Sack
- Pumpkin Spice Scotcheroos on The First Year Blog
- Healthy Scotcheroos on One Lovely Life
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal (rice crispy cereal or other brand)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 TBS coconut oil (optional)
- Combine sugar and syrup in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.
- Mix in rice cereal
- Pour peanut butter cereal into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Melt chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave. Melt for minute, then stir. Then 20 second increments, stirring afterwards until creamy.
- Pour butterscotch chocolate over the top of the peanut butter cereal.
- Spread around covering evenly.
- Chill, or allow to rest at room temperature until the chocolate topping hardens.
Scotcheroos first posted on January 9, 2013. Photos updated on April 13, 2020.