This slow cooker bbq chicken is so easy to make, it’s the perfect flavorful bbq pulled chicken that can be used in so many different ways, like bbq chicken sandwiches, bbq chicken pizza and more.
Barbecue chicken is one of my favorite meals. Usually we make it on the grill, but sometimes I want something that is even easier, and less hands on, and this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is even better for that!
How to make Crockpot BBQ Chicken?
This is one of the easiest dishes there ever was. You will make a quick sauce with your favorite barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and a couple other things. Then you will add thawed chicken breast or thighs to your slow cooker.
Top the chicken with the sweetened BBQ sauce and cook it in the slow cooker for 2.5-3.5 hours on high, or 6-7 hours on low until the chicken is cooked through.
The chicken can now be served whole, but my favorite way to eat it is to shred it up and serve it.
I like eating it alongside some rice or a salad, or on a bun to make a yummy sandwich. This bbq chicken can be eaten in a variety of ways. It’s delicious on it’s own, or with some of these ideas.
How to use slow cooker bbq chicken?
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches (especially delicious topped with coleslaw)
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
- BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Pasta
- BBQ Chicken Salad
How to make BBQ Chicken in the Instant Pot?
BBQ chicken can also be made in the instant pot. Because the chicken cooks so quickly in the instant pot, you can use frozen chicken if you don’t buy fresh and don’t want to thaw it.
You’ll add your meat to your pressure cooker and cover it with the sweetened barbecue sauce you made. Place the lid on the instant pot, and make sure the valve is sealed. Bring it to high pressure. Cook it for 6-7 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then you can do the quick release. For frozen chicken breasts you’ll cook for about 10 minutes.
The cooking time will vary based on how thick your chicken breasts are. If they are thicker than about 1 inch at the thickest point, add 2-3 minutes.
This slow cooker barbecue chicken is so tender, flavorful and delicious. It’s a little sweet, a little tangy, and honestly I thought we’d have a bunch of leftovers, but we liked it so much that we had hardly any left!
Looking for more Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Brown Sugar Balsamic Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (divided)
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TBS brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (or boneless thighs)
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 2 TBS water
- Combine 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add chicken breasts to a slow cooker.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the top of the chicken and spread around to cover completely.
- Cook on high for 2.5 to 3.5 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours until the chicken is cooked throughout.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Combine cornstarch and water and add to the chicken. Add remaining barbecue sauce as well. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes or so till sauce is slightly thickened.
- Enjoy plain, over rice, on a sandwich, etc.