These s’mores cookies combine the flavor of s’mores in a chocolate chip cookie, with a graham cracker crumble filled cookie dough that is loaded with chocolate chips, and topped with a gooey marshmallow, and Hershey’s chocolate bar.
These amazing s’mores cookies have a buttery graham cracker crumble added to the cookie dough, and then are baked directly on top of a graham cracker square, giving the cookies a delicious graham cracker flavor and crunch in every bite.
The giant cookies are topped with half a marshmallow, that is cooked on top of them for a couple of minutes to get it soft and gooey just like you would with a s’more right over the fire. The cookies are loaded with chocolate chips in the dough, and topped with a piece of Hershey’s chocolate, for that classic s’more chocolate flavor.
The cookies are thick, soft and chewy, with nice gooey centers, and the perfect crunch from the graham crackers, giving them such a great texture.
I got this s’mores cookie recipe from my niece Cambria a few years back, and it quickly became a favorite for our family. If you love chocolate chip cookies, and you love s’mores these cookies are the best of both worlds, and you will love this flavor combination.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this S’mores Cookie recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Graham Crackers
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- All Purpose Flour
- Chocolate Chips
- Large Marshmallows
- Hershey Bars
How to make S’mores Cookies?
- Make the Graham Cracker Crumble. Crush some graham crackers in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin, or food mallet. You can have a variety of sizes between the crumbs, I like some bigger and smaller pieces. Add the crumbs to a medium sized bowl, and the melted butter, sugar, and salt and mix it all together to coat the graham cracker cookies in the melted butter mixture.
- Make the Cookie Dough. Add the butter and sugars to a large bowl and cream them together for a couple of minutes. I like using a stand mixer, but a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer works too. Then add in the eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until those are combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture, and the graham cracker crumble to the wet ingredients and stir them together until you have a nice soft cookie dough. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 2.5 to 3 Tablespoon sized portions, and roll them into balls. Place a cookie dough ball on top of half of a graham cracker then onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slightly flatten the cookie dough to make it more like a hockey puck shape. Only put 6-8 cookies per cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies until they start to crack a little on top, and the cookies still look gooey. Remove the tray from the oven and press /2 of a large marshmallow into the top of the cookie. Bake the cookies for another 2 minutes to melt the marshmallow.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit for a couple of minutes, then top the marshmallow with a piece of a Hershey’s chocolate bar. Let them cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy the cookies warm.
Tips and Tricks:
- Measure the flour correctly by spooning the flour into the measuring cup, then leveling off the top with the back of a knife. You can also weigh the flour out with a scale for the right amount.
- Only put about 6 to 8 cookies on each cookie sheet to make sure they have the right amount of room to spread on the cookie sheet.
- These are thick cookies, but if they aren’t flattening when baking press the marshmallow into the top to push the cookie down a bit for the last couple minutes of baking.
- Try cutting about 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips, and adding 1 cup of mini marshmallows directly to the cookie dough for an even stronger marshmallow flavor, and gooey-er cookie.
How to store s’mores cookies?
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature once they are completely cooled and the chocolate on top has hardened again. I recommend placing a layer of parchment paper between cookie layers if you are stacking them to prevent the marshmallow from sticking to the next cookie.
You can also freeze the cookies by placing them on a lined cookie sheet and placing that in the freezer for about 1 hour until they are frozen solid. Then transfer the cookies to a freezer safe container or bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature for a couple hours, or microwave at half power for about 30 seconds to get them warm again.
These s’mores cookies are one of our favorites over here, and I just know if you give them a try you will love them too. They’re the perfect way to have the flavors of s’mores all year long.
Looking for more s’more recipes:
- Smores in Air Fryer
- S’mores Charcuterie Board
- S’mores Clusters
- S’mores Brownies
- S’mores Popcorn Balls
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
For The Graham Cracker Crumble:
- 1 package graham crackers (9 whole crackers)
- 6 TBS unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 TBS granulated sugar
- dash of salt
For The Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened, 2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
For the Cookies:
- 24 Graham Cracker Squares
- 12 large marshmallows
- 6 small snack size Hershey bars (or 2 big bars)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper or a silicone liner, set aside.
For The Graham Cracker Crumble:
- Add the graham crackers to a ziploc bag, and seal. Crush with a rolling pin, you can choose how fine you want the crumbs to be, or have an assortment of sizes.
- Add the graham cracker pieces, melted butter, sugar, and salt to a medium sized bowl and mix them together to coat the graham crackers in the butter mixture. Set it aside.
For The Cookie Dough:
- Add the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large bowl and cream them together for a couple of minutes until they are light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until those are incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and the graham cracker crumble to the wet ingredients and stir them together until you have a nice soft cookie dough.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
For the Cookies:
- Scoop the cookie dough in 2.5 to 3 TBS sections and roll them into a ball. Place one cookie dough ball on top of a graham cracker square on the baking sheet.
- Slightly flatten the cookie dough balls to be more of a hocket puck shape.
- Place the cookies at least 2 inches apart from each other on the tray to allow them to spread. Only put about 6 to 8 cookies per cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking cut the marshmallows in half.
- Place one half marshmallow (sticky side down) onto the top of each cookie.
- Put the pan back in the oven and let the marshmallow cook, while the cookies too, for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 chocolate square on top of each marshmallow.
- Let the cookies cool for another 3 minutes on the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy them warm.
These s’mores cookies were first posted on May 15, 2014. The photos and blog text were updated for clarity on May 4, 2023.