This strawberry shortcake is the perfect homemade summer dessert, layered with fluffy homemade biscuits, sweet strawberries, and fresh whipped cream! You’ll want to make this all summer long.
Strawberry shortcake is a perfect spring or summer dessert. When all the fresh juicy berries start coming into season, this strawberry shortcake is the perfect way to serve them up.
There are a variety of ways to serve strawberry shortcake, either with a cake base, or a biscuit base. This recipe uses a crumbly and fluffy biscuit base, that is perfect paired with sweet juicy strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
This strawberry shortcake is so much better than buying and using the spongey angel food cake or pound cakes from the store. This recipe may seem intimidating, but I promise making each of the steps from scratch is so worth it. Fresh soft sugary biscuits, covered in fresh juicy sugar strawberries and strawberry sauce, all topped with homemade whipped cream.
This strawberry shortcake is made with cream biscuits. This means the biscuits are lightly sweetened. The biscuits have crispy and crunchy sugary edges, and the middle is soft and fluffy. It’s not as moist as a cake, but not as dry as a scone – somewhere in the middle.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake?
Start by preheating the oven and lining a baking sheet with a silicone liner.
- You’ll first make your biscuits. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Then pour in the heavy cream and stir it together gently until they are just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, or a 1/4 cup measuring cup portion out the dough, and drop it into 9 or 10 mostly even sized biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently press the biscuits down with your fingers or the bottom of a glass cup. You can pinch the dough together if it’s not rounded, but it doesn’t matter too much cause they’ll probably split while baking.
- Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with a half teaspoon of sugar.
- Then bake the pan until the biscuits are lightly golden on top.
- When the biscuits are done baking, add the chopped strawberries, sugar, and vanilla extract to a bowl and stir them together.
- In another large bowl, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and beat them together until soft peaks are formed.
- When you’re ready to enjoy them slice each shortcake biscuit in half, then top the bottom half with whipped cream, and strawberries. Add the top biscuit, and enjoy!
Tips for making homemade Strawberry Shortcake:
- These biscuits are sweeter than a traditional biscuit. If you don’t want them to be as sweet, and to reduce the sugar you can leave off the sugar topping.
- For a cheater version, try our air fryer blueberry shortcake using canned biscuits. It’s not quite as good, but definitely works if you want to save a few steps.
How to make Strawberry Shortcakes in Advance?
Each of the components to strawberry shortcake can be made a day or two in advance, and then when you’re ready to serve up the strawberry shortcakes you can assemble them together quickly for a quick dessert.
The biscuits can be made up to 2 days in advance. Reheat the biscuits in the oven or an air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes until they are warm again.
You can also freeze the biscuits. Let them cool completely, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then all together in a large freezer safe bag.
The strawberries can be mixed with the sugar 1 day in advance. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge. You don’t want to mix these too early as the strawberries can get mushy, and it’s a fairly easy step so you can do this day of if you want too.
The whipped cream is best fresh, but can be made 1 day in advance as well. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble.
When you’re ready to serve the strawberry shortcake, warm up the biscuits, then cut them in half and top them with strawberries, whipped cream, and the top half of the biscuit.
They’re easily one of my newest favorite desserts, and we’ll definitely make them for the rest of the summer, and every year after that.
This strawberry shortcake is the perfect dessert to enjoy all spring or summer long. It would be so delicious to serve up after a tasty summer bbq. Buttery sweet delicious, sweet juicy berries, and homemade whipped cream. Everyone will love it!
More Strawberry Recipes:
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Muffins
- Deep Fried Strawberry Shortcakes
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 TBS granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 tsp granulated sugar (for topping)
For the Strawberries:
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 1/2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. And whisk them together.
- Add in the cream, and stir it all together with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop, or 1/4 cup measuring cup to portion out 9 or 10 dough balls and drop them onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Use your fingers, or the bottom of a glass cup to gently press the top of the dough down to make a rounded biscuit shape.
- Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
For the Strawberries:
- When the biscuits are done, chop the strawberries and add them to a bowl. Add the granulated sugar, and vanilla and stir them together to combine.
For the Whipped Cream:
- In a large bowl, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and whip them together until soft peaks form.
- When ready to consume, cut a biscuit in half, top the bottom half with whipped cream and strawberries. Then top with other biscuit half. Enjoy.