This homemade strawberry sauce is only 3 ingredients, and is the perfect strawberry topping to go on ice cream, cheesecake, pound cake, pancakes, and more!
**This post contains references and/or links to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Homemade strawberry sauce is so much better than what you can get from the store. It’s so easy to make, with only three ingredients, and only takes about 20 minutes to whip up. Adding it to any dessert, or many breakfasts for the perfect topping.
This strawberry sauce can be made with three ingredients, fresh strawberries, sugar, and a little fresh lemon juice.
How to make Strawberry Sauce?
First you’ll hull, then chop up your strawberries. You’ll need 1 pound of strawberries. Add your strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a medium sized sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thickened.
You don’t need to smash the berries as they’ll release the juices on their own.
Tips for making Strawberry Sauce:
- Make the recipe using frozen strawberries, so you can have this sauce all year long. The sauce may not be as glossy looking as this one, but it should still taste delicious.
- Try adding in 1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla extract for a sweet vanilla flavor in the sauce.
- Recipe can easily be doubled for a bigger batch if needed.
How long can I store Strawberry Sauce?
Homemade strawberry sauce will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. You’ll want to keep it sealed in an airtight container. If the sauce is too thick when you are ready to use it you can warm it up in a sauce pan over medium heat till it’s pour-able again.
The strawberry sauce can also be frozen in an airtight container for 3-4 months.
How to use Strawberry Sauce:
This homemade strawberry sauce is perfect on top of so many things.
- Cheesecake – I like to add it after the cheesecake is fully baked and cooled and ready to eat. Also try it on no bake cheesecake.
- Waffles, pancakes, french toast.
- Ice Cream
- Yogurt – It would be especially yummy in a yogurt parfait.
- Angel Food Cake
- Pound cake
Frequently Asked Questions
What is strawberry sauce made of?
The three simple ingredients that make up strawberry sauce are strawberries, sugar, and fresh lemon juice. This great recipe is the perfect topping for your favorite dessert especially during strawberry season.
What can I do with a pint of strawberries?
Next time you have a pint of strawberries ready to go, make this delicious fresh strawberry sauce. In a medium saucepan or pot, toss in the fresh berries from your pint and follow this recipe to make an excellent topping.
What can I do with too many strawberries?
Besides just eating them up, make a delicious 3 ingredient homemade strawberry sauce recipe with your sweet strawberries and only a handful of ingredients. This strawberry mixture can go on ice cream sundaes, strawberry shortcake, or any other dessert to find new favorite ways to enjoy strawberries.
Can I use frozen strawberries for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen berries for this strawberry sauce recipe. You will want to thaw first and drain when using frozen strawberries for this recipe as well as a using a potato masher to help push extra liquid out. For a fresh strawberry flavor it may be best to use fresh berries.
How would you use your homemade strawberry sauce first? I must warn you that it’s so delicious, you may just want to eat it with a spoon.
Looking for more Strawberry Recipes?
- Strawberry Fluff
- Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 pound strawberries (about 2 cups chopped)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Hull and chop your strawberries.
- Add your strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a medium sized pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil. Continue to boil, for about 15-20 minutes until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.