Tutti Frutti Ice Cream is refreshingly, citrusy ice cream made from fresh squeezed orange and lemon juice with banana and candied lemon/orange peels.
Who can say no to homemade ice cream in the summer time? Today I have a refreshing tutti frutti ice cream recipe for you that is flavored with fresh squeezed oranges and lemon, and full of chunks of fruity pieces.
What flavor is tutti frutti ice cream?
The name tutti frutti comes from the Italian phrase ‘tutti i frutti’ which means “all fruits”. It’s a delicious combination of fresh fruity flavors, often with candied fruit pieces.
Tutti Frutti flavored ice cream became popular from Leopold’s ice cream shop in Savannah Georgia. Their version is a rum flavored ice cream full of candied fruit and roasted pecans.
My version has a fresh citrusy ice cream that is full of banana pieces, pineapple, and candied fruit. I used a candied fruit mix from the store, but you could make your own, such as candied lemon and orange peels, or use maraschino cherries, dried fruit, etc.
- heavy cream
- whole milk
- fresh orange juice
- fresh lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
How to make Tutti Frutti Ice Cream?
How to store homemade ice cream?
You can keep any leftover tutti frutti ice cream in a 2 qt freezer safe container. I often use a 9×5 bread pan covered with plastic wrap, then tightly with foil. But you can also buy ice cream containers that work perfect for this too.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add in some chopped pecans or walnuts for a nice crunch. You can add the nuts in raw, or roasted.
- Instead of candied fruit, use your choice of fresh fruit. Dice the fresh fruit up into small pieces, and toss together with about 1 TBS of granulated sugar. Add in the fresh fruit near the end of the churning time. (Some good fruit options are cherries, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, banana, etc.)
More ice cream recipes:
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Peach Ice Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Tutti Frutti Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup candied fruit and peels
- Add the cream, milk, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract to a large bowl and stir them together.
- Start the ice cream maker, and pour the liquid ice cream mixture into the machine base. Let it run according to the manufactures directions, about 30 minutes or so, or until it's like a very soft, soft serve ice cream.
- Dice up the frozen banana and add it to the ice cream. Add in the candied fruit and peels. Continue to mix the ice cream for about 5 minutes until the fruit is evenly divided.
- Scoop the ice cream into a 2 qt freezer safe container, and cover it with a lid.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer for at least 6 hours, of overnight until it is hard and scoopable.