This cookies and cream ice cream is such a delicious ice cream flavor! It’s so easy to make at home, without any eggs, and it tastes even better than you’d get from the store!
I know it’s always hard to pick a favorite ice cream flavor, with so many amazing choices out there like strawberry ice cream, or cookie dough ice cream, or chocolate brownie ice cream, but this cookies and cream ice cream is right up there with the best of the best.
Cookies and cream ice cream is one of the most popular ice cream flavors there is (maybe even ahead of chocolate and vanilla) and for good reason. Cookies and cream ice cream is a rich and creamy vanilla ice cream stuffed full of chunks of Oreo cookies. This homemade version has about 2 1/2 cups worth of Oreo pieces.
I first measured out 2 cups of Oreos and then I decided it needed more and chopped up about 8 more cookies that I added in while I was scooping the ice cream into the pan, and a little more on top to make it look extra pretty.
Homemade ice cream is one of my favorite treats, especially in the summer time. Of course I love ice cream all year long, but there is just something about a big bowl of homemade ice cream on a hot day.
This cookies and cream ice cream starts with the same ice cream base as our vanilla ice cream recipe, with lots and lots of delicious Oreo cookies mixed throughout.
Tips for making homemade cookies and cream ice cream:
- Don’t forget to put your ice cream maker freezer bowl in the freezer at least 12 hours before you want to make your ice cream. I have an extra freezer so I just leave mine in the freezer all the time, so it’s ready whenever I am ready to make some yummy homemade ice cream.
- Instead of heavy cream you can use half and half in this cookies and cream ice cream. You can also use a lower fat percentage milk. The ice cream will be the creamiest with heavy cream, and whole milk however, as the higher fat content allows for the richest and creamiest ice cream.
- Instead of chocolate Oreo cookies you could also try golden Oreos, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, or any of your favorite cookies to customize the flavor.
How to make cookies and cream ice cream?
This cookies and cream ice cream is so easy to make. It’s only about 4 steps and then you’re enjoying some of the best homemade ice cream ever!
As mentioned above, don’t forget you put your freezer bowl into the freezer at least 12 to 24 hours in advance before you want to make your ice cream. Then in a large bowl, mix your milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir them together for a couple minutes, to try and get most of the sugar to dissolve into the mixture.
Start your ice cream maker churning and pour in your vanilla ice cream mixture. It’s okay if there is a lot of the sugar at the bottom, just scoop it in to the mixer too. It will mix in as the ice cream churns.
When the ice cream looks nice and thick, after about 25-30 minutes, chop up your Oreo cookies and then pour them into the top of your ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream maker to continue to run for another 3-5 minutes, just until the Oreo cookie pieces are mixed throughout the ice cream.
Scoop the ice cream into a 2 quart pan (a 9×5 bread pan is perfect for this) and cover the ice cream with plastic wrap. You can add even more Oreo pieces while you’re scooping the ice cream into the pan (I did 😉 ) and then I sprinkled a few more on top to make it look nice in the pan too. Place it in the freezer and freeze for another 6 hours. I like to leave mine overnight so it gets super hard and thick and scoopable.
This cookies and cream ice cream is smooth, and creamy, with just the right amount of thick chunks or chocolate sandwich cookies throughout. You’ll get chunks of Oreo cookies in practically every bite. It’s the perfect ice cream for Oreo lovers!
Looking for more cookies and cream recipes?
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Mint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Fudge
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Oreo cookies (about 18-20 cookies)
- Stir the milk, cream, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl for a few minutes, until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into your 2qt ice cream maker and allow to run for 25-30 minutes (according to the directions on your machine).
- Roughly chop up the Oreos with a knife.
- Add 2 cups of the Oreo pieces into the ice cream machine, and let it continue to run for another 3 to 5 minutes until they are mixed throughout.
- Scoop the ice cream out of the ice cream maker into a 2quart pan, and add remaining 1/2 cup of Oreo pieces as you scoop it in. Smooth out the top and sprinkle some more on the top.
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to freeze solid for 6 hours, up to overnight.
This cookies and cream ice cream was first posted on November 21, 2012. Photos updated on July 10, 2020.