This zucchini lasagna is a delicious healthier, low carb, gluten free, vegetarian lasagna that is so delicious! You won’t even miss the pasta noodles.
I love lasagna, and I love zucchini. And this recipe is a great way to combine the two. It’s so flavorful, and you won’t even miss the carb filled lasagna noodles!
It’s such a fresh, and delicious way to have a comforting meal, with lots of cheese, and lots of flavor! It’s also a great vegetarian meal option! Lots of delicious cheese, and lots of yummy veggies!
This recipe was lightly adapted from the zucchini lasagna over at Skinny Taste.
How to make Zucchini Lasagna?
Cut up your zucchini lengthwise. I like to use a mandoline to make sure the pieces are even, and makes cutting the zucchini fast and easy. Lay the zucchini out on paper towels to help extract some of the extra liquid in them.
In a saute pan, add some olive oil and chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are nice and clear, and golden colored. Add in your diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic salt, and garlic powder. Cook for a few minutes, then add in your fresh herbs and remove the sauce from the heat.
Combine the egg, ricotta, and parmesan cheese to make your cheese filling.
Now your lasagna is ready to layer. Start with a layer of sauce on the bottom of your pan. Then a layer of zucchini across the sauce. Then 1/3 of your ricotta mixture. Then about 1/4 of your mozzarella cheese. Repeat 2 more layers of each, until you are out of ingredients. Then end with a layer of zucchini, and the final layer of mozzarella cheese.
Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake until the cheese on top is nice and golden. Let the dish rest for about 5 minutes, then dig in.
Tips for making zucchini lasagna:
- If your zucchini is extra watery, you can salt it and place it on paper towels, to sit for about 15 minutes, to help extract some of the moisture. You can also grill the zucchini, a couple minutes on each side, until it is just golden, then place it on paper towels to continue soaking more of the liquid.
- If you want more mozzarella cheese than pictures, especially on the top of the lasagna, add another 1 cup of cheese.
- If you don’t want the meal to be vegetarian, you can add 1/2 pound ground beef to the sauce mixture. Cook it up with the onion, until browned, and drain out the grease.
How to make Zucchini Lasagna Ahead of Time?
This is a great make ahead dish. You can layer the lasagna, and wrap the pan up with foil and store it in the fridge for up to 1 day in advanced.
You can also freeze the dish, by wrapping it first in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze it for up to 2 months. Let the zucchini lasagna thaw in the fridge overnight before you want to bake it up. Add 10-20 minutes to the baking time as needed if the lasagna is still frozen in the middle when you put it in the oven.
What to serve with Zucchini Lasagna?
This lasagna is delicious on it’s own, but if you want to make it a full meal with sides, here are some great ideas:
- breadsticks or garlic bread
- side salad or caesar salad
- fruit or fruit salad
- roasted vegetables
This zucchini lasagna is such a delicious, gluten free, vegetarian dish that the whole family will love. You won’t even miss the pasta!
More lasagna recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 3 small small zucchini* (enough for about 25 slices)
- 1/3 onion (chopped)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatos
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBS fresh basil (can sub 2 tsp dried)
- 2 TBS fresh oregano (can sub 2 tsp dried)
- 1 TBS fresh thyme (can sub 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 8 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Lay zucchini out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Cover with additional paper towels, to help remove some of the moisture.
- Put olive oil and chopped onion in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes until onions are golden.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic salt and garlic powder.
- Stir everything together and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add fresh herbs when you are done simmering and remove from heat.
- Preheatthe oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl combine the egg, ricotta and parmesan cheese.
- Spray a 9x9 (or 8x8) baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Spread some sauce on the bottom of your pan.
- Layer 1 layer of zucchini across the sauce.
- Top zucchini with about 1/3 of the ricotta mixture.
- Top ricotta with 1/4 of the mozzarella.
- Top cheese with more sauce and repeat steps 10-13.
- End with zucchini, sauce then more mozzarella.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
This zucchini lasagna was first posted on September 2, 2013. The photos and text were updated for clarity on February 24, 2021.
GET READY TO MAKE THIS DISH AND OTHERS LIKE IT WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS: