Zucchini lasagna for the lasagna lover and the zucchini lover; a cheesy healthier lasagna but so very, very tasty.
As I’m sure you have also seen, I have been seeing zucchini lasagna all over pinterest lately. I knew that because we have zucchini growing in our garden, this was something I needed to make with some of the zucchini. This recipe is slightly adapted from Skinny Taste’s zucchini lasagna.
But then it has been super hot here and some of our vegetables haven’t produced anything. Our tomatillos are flowering like crazy and bees have been pollinating them, but not a single tomatillo is growing. And no cantaloupe growing either (sorry that’s a fruit!). Well, our squash production has been low. So I went to the store to buy some more zucchini to add to the one I thought our garden might have. Well, the one in our garden ended up being HUGE, and I probably didn’t need extra. But nonetheless, this is a great way to use extra zucchini from your garden.
I love lasagna. I love zucchini. This was a great way to combine the two.
Plus, you cut out the carbs completely and I cut the cheese down as well, so this is a great healthy meal option for your family. I made mine meatless, but you can make it with or without meat.
- 3 small small zucchini* (enough for about 25 slices)
- 1/3 onion (chopped)
- 14.5 oz tomato (diced)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBS fresh basil
- 2 TBS fresh oregano
- 1 TBS fresh tyme
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 10 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- 8 oz mozzarella
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Lay zucchini out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Cover with additional paper towels.
- Put olive oil and chopped onion in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes until onions are golden.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic salt and garlic powder.
- Stir everything together and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add fresh herbs when you are done simmering and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine, egg, ricotta and parmesan.
- Spray a 9x9 (or 8x8) baking pan with pam.
- Spread some sauce on the bottom of your pan.
- Layer 1 layer of zucchini across the sauce.
- Top zucchini with about 1/3 of ricotta mixture.
- Top ricotta with 1/4 of mozzarella.
- Top cheese with more sauce and repeat steps 10-13.
- End with zucchini, sauce then mozzarella.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before eating.
Enjoy this fresh and semi-healthy and cheesy meal!
GET READY TO MAKE THIS DISH AND OTHERS LIKE IT WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS:
You might like these too: